Default dont pay to much for tbh

I was looking at tbh and was floored by the ridiculous prices they charge for them so i built my own wasnt hard and reused some scrap wood that would have ended up in a landfill total cost about $20

Default Re: dont pay to much for tbh

With enough scrap wood, you can get the price down to zero.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The cost was for paint screws bolts hardware cloth and wood glue

I see people talking about $20-$40 TBHs, but it hasn't worked that way for me and I'm a carpenter with access to a lot of scrapwood......

I just finished my first one. I had a bunch of 1x12 laying around, but I needed to buy 1x6's that I ripped down for the top bars, 1/2 cove molding for the top bar cleats, various screws, hook and eyes, etc. I think for the next one I'll just rip 2x4's down for the top bars--should be much cheaper. I even had some corrugated fiberglass roofing panels laying around, but I'm guessing I still have and easy $40 in the materials and about 8 hours in labor.......but it was still fun!

I had a great time building it and I tried to do it on the cheap as much as possible because I do sustainable agriculture projects in Latin America and the S. Pacific and I'd like to try some of the TBHs in those communities.

BD

Which part of S. Pacific BigDawg?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

>The cost was for paint screws bolts hardware cloth and wood glue

I'm not saying that's a bad plan to buy those, but you can scrounge used nails all day long quite easily and screws. There is no need for the paint (although a spouse could change that...) and no need for hardware cloth. You COULD do it for free if you really want to...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Which part of S. Pacific BigDawg?
    The last few years have mostly been Fiji and Papua New Guinea.

Awesome! Lovely people.

How are they going in PNG with mites now?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I have built three this spring and am building more. I think my cost is about $35 that is with buying material. A durable wind proof lid is the most expensive feature.

Hank

Big dawg congratulations on your sustainable agricultural work. i would lke to offer you a tip on building for practicaly no cost....stop thinking like a carpenter and think outside the box. for instance if you want a 1x12 and all you have is 1x6 then whittle some dowl pins drill the edges and glue together to make 1x12.....not trying to offend just want you to realize there is almost always a way to make what you have work just think first dont automaticaly run out and buy something when its possible to invest more time or work and create what you need.

I use 2x6 or 2x8's for the top bar and rip them down to size. I have never treid a 1x6 for top bars, I do however use a 1x6 for the bottom. When TB's are built and sold you have to figure labor or why build & sell them and yet when we are compaing prices we do not count our labor worth anything, so if you count your labor with the cheap to no cost materal the price will go up.

RToney is right about figuring costs on commercial hives. Most of the commercial hives are way high in price, but they have to cover a lot of overhead, and how many TBHs are sold a year. I'm sure the next Bill Gates won't be a TBH manufacturer. I just cant see paying a few hundred dollars on a hive when you can make one with just a circular saw.

I also use 2x's for my top bar and cut the wedge into the bar so I don't need to attach anything as a guide. Last year I was making them with a circular saw and a series of jigs, but I recently got a table saw (what was I thinking!). I get the least waste from a 2x8, but 2x6's have been cheaper for me, including the waste. The problem I've had with 2x4's is the ones at the local home improvement store look like they are pallet grade.

So far I've built all my hives except one from 1x12's for sides and 1x8's for the bottoms. The one exception was I'm tearing down my backyard picket fence and I've made one nuc from the old wood. It was fun to make, and I'll probably make a bunch of swarm traps from the rest when I have time.

The biggest place to save money (or waste it) is the top. If you make a simple top from coraplast (old political signs) it is a bunch cheaper (free!) than roof covered in flashing. Or even an old piece of plywood will work. It all depends on what the wife/husband/neighbor/HOA will accept.

For me I've found that making the hives has been a big part of the fun. I would have not guessed that would have been the case. I was never interested in wood working in the past.