Default New Smoker Design

Hi guys,

Some of you may remember me quizzing you about how you kept your bee smokers? Well here is the result of months of hard work and lots of input from people like yourselves.

http://leegrievedesign.com/smoka/

I understand you lot will be my toughest critics, but as long as its constructive, I can take it.
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

Default Re: New Smoker Design

Sounds good and looks good. How about a video of it being used so we can gauge how effective it is?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Back in around 2007, someone in my club tried to invent a liquid smoke smoker. It actually burned the liquid smoke on an iron heated by a propane torch. It was clever enough, but ungainly, heavy, and skeletal-looking, and lacked any way to meaningfully direct the smoke.

However, this invention of yours is flameless, ergonomic, and sexy. Based solely on your description and the graphics provided at your site, I don't see any obvious flaws. However, the truth will be found in the practical application.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

This looks a lot more polished than i was expecting! I've got engineering degrees, but I usually fall back to my roots as a poor coun try kid...just make it work. I was envisioning something with a much more "crude" appearance. I'd love to see a video of it in action....better yet, a video using it on a beehive.

Looks great! I'm a newbie and the most problems I have had so far all start with my smoker! When will this be available for us to try?

Very positive feedback guys!

sadly, the model your looking at is made from wood, sweat and tears.

I did test the mister with some liquid smoke solutions and it worked surprisingly well. the test rig is alot more crude but I didn't think how interesting that might be too see. I'll get some videos of that over the next few days and post them.
    Lee Grieve....Designer....Beekeeper....Blogger.....Pho tographer.....http://www.leegrievedesign.com

Wow. That's actually impressive looking. What appear to be injection molded plastics and a very thought out ergonomic design. I would like to see/hear it in action, see it's size relative to current designs, get a feeling for it's durability, and know the list price. It's taken me years to be efficient at starting my smoker (and keeping it lit) but I've finally got the hang of it. Not sure if I'd switch unless a compelling argument could be made. That's where your marketing kicks in.

Seriously, very impressive looking, kudos.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Shut up and take my money!

Cool looking, and I really like the idea. My hives are everywhere and one thing that sucks is have to put out a smoker pack it in the car and relight it again. This would so much time. Send one my way!

Quote Originally Posted by cklspencer View Post
    Cool looking, and I really like the idea. My hives are everywhere and one thing that sucks is have to put out a smoker pack it in the car and relight it again. This would so much time. Send one my way!
    Bee-z smoker already solved that issue. It uses a heating element to create instant smoke without ever getting the actual smoker hot. I use one frequently just for the same reasons you mention above. Mann lake sells them and they are made in New Hampshire.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Bee-z smoker already solved that issue. It uses a heating element to create instant smoke without ever getting the actual smoker hot. I use one frequently just for the same reasons you mention above. Mann lake sells them and they are made in New Hampshire.
    It also looks ugly as sin, sometimes form is just as important as function. It also has a MONSTER battery pack, which I assume will add heft and wieght. My only worry if its patented. Which would end Mr.Greives product.

Send me one on loan and I will test it on Africanized beehives down in Mexico.
    It it does the job there, it will do it anywhere.

Ok... now that you have taken the initial steps, you need to get it into production after you patent it. You will need field testers as well for the first run. I will sign up to be a tester for you now. You will also need to spellcheck your promo. Trust me.
    Now... you will also need financial backing. This phase is the most expensive phase. Get a hold of potential "silent partners". People that will loan you the funds and allow you to run with it. A patent alone will cost 5k.
    If you need more assistance, contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenzero View Post
    It also looks ugly as sin, sometimes form is just as important as function. It also has a MONSTER battery pack, which I assume will add heft and wieght. My only worry if its patented. Which would end Mr.Greives product.
    Guessing I would say it might weigh 2-3 lbs. The battery pack makes it stay up right which is an improvement over a traditional smoker.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Ill buy one

Wow Lee, you have some REALLY cool stuff on your site. Good luck with all of your inventions.

Lee, have you placed your smoker on Kickstarter yet? I'm guessing that you could get some financial support by going that route. Just a thought. I'm no expert. Great work on that mockup unit dude. I can tell that you are a perfectionist. I appreciate that.

- John

Design look great! Congratulations!
    From practical point of view, I would like to know:
    - if liquid smoke affect bees the same way as regular smoke?
    - what about batteries? For how long, how easy to change in the field and what to do if battery is dead and angry bees around?
    - the only flaw I noticed is the vent holes on the back of the device where the fan. I do not know about others, but my bees when really unhappy attack even a real smoker (camera etc). I would imagine that bees could block the holes and device stop functioning... when it needed
    - Before any claims regarding device's functionality, I would like to see the videos of the field tests - the main question if it does the same as real smoke?
    Серёжа, Sergey

I'm not sure if it's used much in the U.S, but its readily available over here and used by many who don't like the traditional smokers.

The battery would no doubt come with a spare so one could be on charge while the other was in use, it has a life of 2 hours constant full power, and the clip underneath allows it to be changed while wearing gloves. (I cant relight my smoker while wearing gloves)

the vent holes aren't large enough for the bees to get access, and I feel if there blocking all the holes in anger...its probably time to close the hive and walk away for a bit.

I might develop the technology and test it a little further despite having already submit my work for assessment at university, especially since theres been a lot of excitement about the design.

That really is quite brilliant, and when you're looking for field testers, I suppose I could do you a huge favor and take one off your hands and give you feedback. In all seriousness though, that looks like a fantastic product, and I really hope to see it on the market in the future. If it works as well as it looks, you've got a customer in me.