Default Anyone still shipping packages?

My supplier is having trouble getting bees delivered. Two delays so far and now no bees until the end of next week. I am afraid that I might lose this year. My first year so nothing. Anyone know of anybody still shipping?

Thanks

Default Re: Anyone still shipping packages?

I think pigeon mountain trading is, the weather this year has been awful.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Be patient!
    If your supplier is reputable they will come through.
    There are a lot of delays this year apparently, as I've been getting calls from other's that are getting impatient waiting on their supplier.
    Weather has been colder this year and getting queen's mated early has been an issue. Better to wait and get a good bred queen a little later than you expected than to get a junk queen on time.
    Bee suppliers are not department stores. Good bred queen's don't sit around on shelves very well.

There should be an abundance of quality packages with good bred queen's as the season progresses. You'll get bee's. Now if your supplier is unsure if they can get them then by all means order elsewhere. You do deserve better than a maybe.
    But for missed dates be patient.

If it makes you feel any better about your missed dates I talked to two beekeeper's who got early packages and it sound's like queen's are not up to snuff for either.

Thanks DF. My problem with the late date is that I am leaving town 2 days after I get the bees. I'll be gone for a full week. I suppose I will have to do a direct release. Other than that do you see problems with me leaving so soon after install?

I don't see any issues with leaving them for a week in fact I think that would be a normal time frame before a check. Maybe put some extra feed on them.

Poke a decent sized hole in the queen cage candy. I usually just set the queen cage on top of the frames and use a thin spacer between that and the inner cover to give the bees access. If you have large entrance feeders or bucket feeders, set as many as will fit on the inner cover and set an empty deep over them. That should keep them happy for a week. They may build some comb on top of the frames in the extra space, but it can be scraped off.

In a bee club? Perhaps a memeber would come over and check on them while you are gone. Post a note in the wanted section on Beesource and Craigslist looking for help. Another option would be to find a local nuc in lieu of a package. If you were a little closer I'd check on them for you.

I agree about early packages. Locals who ordered them have had 50%+ queen failures.

Folks up this way are just starting to get bees. Our club order is another 2-3 weeks out. Patience.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Gawd... I've worried more about this one package of bees then I ever did for my kids. Thanks all for the advice.

Dear Frank:
    I know what you mean. I just had a queen shipped to me, and you would have thought I was awaiting the shipment of an organ for transplant. I got the tracking number, checked on her a few times a day, worried about her for the entire two days, and was on the phone to the post office one minute after eight o'clock on deliver day, wondering if they'd seen the package yet. She was all safe and sound at the post office, and they held her there until I could come and get her. Of course, I was there within 20 minutes.

Sondra

My last packages were delayed and a friend of mine (fellow beek) came out while I was away and shook them in for me. Bees are quite resilient so worry less and enjoy more!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I just ordered two packages from Pigeon Mountain. They said they will ship on the 28th of May.

A few days after my bees showed I was out of state for a week. I bought a couple of 1 gallon chicken waterers from tractor supply ($6 or so). Put those on the top of the frames with an empty deep over them and it worked like a charm. If you do that, put small rocks around the water basin so your girls don't drown.

Thanks LeonardS!! I had called several places looking for packages and had given up hope. But after reading your post last night, I ordered 2 packages this morning from Pigeon Mountain that will ship the 28th of May also.

Glad I was able to help TNBeeLady!!