Default 2 Queens in Observation hive

I found the old queen and a much bigger new queen this weekend in my observation hive here is a short video of the two queens side by side. As of right now they are both still in there together. Click on picture to play the video

Default Re: 2 Queens in Observation hive

I raised two queens in my observation hive last summer. My wife and I carried the obv. hive outside, opened it up and caught one of the queens in a "queen catcher". We then put our new queen in a nuc with a frame of bees for her new home.
    Charlie

That's awesome. I have a split hive, and on 2 occations I found both queens on one side of the hive. Most don't believe me that they didn't fight, but the were both laying on the same frame! Thanks for sharing that.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by cdevier View Post
    I raised two queens in my observation hive last summer. My wife and I carried the obv. hive outside, opened it up and caught one of the queens in a "queen catcher". We then put our new queen in a nuc with a frame of bees for her new home.
    Charlie
    what happened with the old queen? I have read that when a qeen starts dwindling, sometimes the hive will make a supercedure cell and allow the new queen to mate and lay eggs to play catch up and then eventually starve out the old queen.

where is the second queen I've watched it twice now and only see the one.

The second queen starts out just right of the reflecting light. They are side by side about 4 seconds into the video