Default Hive Splitting without A Queen?

Last spring, I got a package of Carnolians and they have not been very nice. I'm sure it didn't help that it was hotter than Hades and there was very little rain during the summer. I thought they might be nicer this spring, but it doesn't look like it. This is my third season having bees, but I am still not a very good keeper. I've heard people say that requeening this hive might make it calmer. I need to have a calmer hive, so that I'm not afraid to open it up and therefore, find every excuse possible not to open it.
    Here's what I want to do:

I would like to take the one hive, split it into two and let of the two splits requeen themselves. Do you think that is a good idea? I don't really want to buy new queens, but I would rather buy them than have my hives die or swarm. How long should I let them be queenless before I would need to add a purchased queen?

I have done some research on this, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. I just want someone to tell me if this is a stupid idea, especially for a rookie, or if it is an ok experiment to try.

Thanks for taking time to read this post. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Laura

Default Re: Hive Splitting without A Queen?

The genetics will be the same... requeen is the best option.

not to mention you said nothing about pinching the old queen prior to splitting, so the old queen would still be in one of them, and the other would raise one of same genetics as Mr Beeman pointed out. What you would end up having is TWO hot hives.

Laura- Check out OTS splitting method at mdaslpitter.com. It refers to taking the queen and two frames of brood to create
    a new hive. Take the old hive an notch the cells and let them raise their new queen. That queen will pick up new genetics
    from new drones while mating. Let the old hive build up until first week in July, then notch cells and snuff hot queen and wait a
    week and make 3 or 4 new nucs. Let the nucs build up for winter.

I would not do a walk away split (one where they raise their own queen) unless I LIKE the genetics of the current queen. But if I DO like her, I would do one...

http://bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#walkaway
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Do you have a mentor or a bee club? It would be good to have an experienced beek come take a look and make sure there isn't something else going on. You can let them raise a queen. You only get half the genetics of the mean queen and I have had them calm down after mating with some local drones, but there is always the chance they might get worse too (kind of like your kids, you never know how they are going to turn out). Again is there someone local you could get a queen from or a frame of eggs?