Big Grin Greetings from Bay City, MI

Hi all! My name is Ed and this is my second year as a bee keeper. Last year was a disaster...installed a package last May and it was gone 3 days later. I found a nuc a month later, but by fall it was gone as well.
    This year we have two hives. Installed two pkgs of Italians on 5/4/13 and they seem to have taken root.
    Due to a nasty little cold snap the last few days(hard freeze last night), I haven't opened up the hive to make sure the queen is out of her cage in either hive, but I plan to by Wednesday.
    I'm trying to do this organically as I possibly can. My wife likes making candles and soap. I coach my kids soccer teams, build models ( RC boats, mostly) and do custom wood working and enjoy astronomy.
    I'm looking forward to learning lots from you folks so don't hesitate to say Hi
    Regards
    Ed

Default Re: Greetings from Bay City, MI

I hope this year works out much better for you! I'm not too far from you, just North of Midland. This is my first year with bees, so i can't offer too much by way of actual experience. I was worrid about the cold weather as well, but i figure if the bees can make it throuh winter (hopefully) they can handle one or two cold nights. I checked a couple hours ago and all three of my hives were flying, so i think all is well with them. If there is anything I can do to help you out, let me know. I make it through BC fairly regulalry as I have some family up in the Thumb.

There is a great guy named Thomas Sokol not too far from you. I don't have his address, as I've always just stopped in, or called him. I'll get his address next time I go past. He is more than willing to talk bees and help out. A VERY nice guy. I just stumbled into him one day when i stopped to buy some honey. I stop everytime I see a "honey for sale" sign to BS with the beekeeper. I've learned a fair bit about local beekeeping methods this way.

I like the handle...my degrees are from MSU.

Although I didn't graduate from MSU, I was sparty in 1983-85. Its been a long twisty road but I'll have my BS in Health Care Management next May from Northwood.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome Ed!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com