Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight of honey

Default weight of honey

Can someone help me with the weights of honey. I am wanting to get labels to put on jars. What is the weight of a pint jar? What is the weight of a quart jar? Your help is appreciated.
    larry

The label on the last jar of honey that i purchased says:

"Honey is sold by weight. 1 Cup = 12 oz."

I needed to research this for my mead.
    The recipe calls for 10 lbs. which equals 13 1/3 cups.

Hope this helps.
    Tai
    Tai
    ECBA Essex County Beekeeping Association #;~)

A pint is 1.5#, a quart is 3#. I would suggest purchasing a scale so you know how full to make the jar to equal those weights.
    Sheri

Just curiously wondering how many people sell a 16oz. jar of honey as 1#. Also how many are calculating 40#s in a full 5 gallon bucket?

Honey is heavier than water and is sold by weight here.

Sold by weight here too. A 5 gal pail is 60#, I try not to sell too many of them. They are too heavy for me.
    Sheri

I believe that liquid honey has to be sold by weight, legally. But comb honey does not. So, get a scale and see how much honey you can get into a pint or quart jar and get labels made. But don't leave alot of air space between the honey and the lid. Your customers will like it better if they aren't buying air.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Default Pints and quart weights

Just my 2 cents worth. I don't think that I have ever seen a mason quart hold 3# unless you fill it right to the brim. I have weighed a lot of different styles of jars. I label the jars at 2.9# and 1.4# for pints. But I would say that usually there 2.95# in a quart without overfilling it. I like to leave about 3/8 inch head space. The pints however are really actually close to 1.4#. You will figure out exactly what is in the jars when you sell to penny pinchers because they will make you! But of course their money spends just as well too.

Default One more thing

Another interesting thing is that if you weigh your pails immediately after extracting the honey and then weigh them several months later you will notice that they have gotten heavier by a little bit. (maybe 1/4 pound)

The bee books say that this is because the honey absorbs moisture. What is the moral of the story? Use the best pails you can find with the CORRECT lids.

I don't find anything in Texas law that requires that honey be sold by weight.

If my memory is still holding, a few years ago, I crushed and strained a little more than two five-gallon pails. One of those pails, not even filled to the brim weighed more than 90 pounds. It granulated almost immediately. Of course, my memory may be slipping.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Here is the easy version!

take what the jar says for volume and multiply by 1.4 to get the wt for honey.

IE a 12 oz jar times 1.4 is 16.8.

so your 12oz jar is now 16.8 oz by WT or 1 pound .8 oz of honey.
    When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.

Default Re: weight of honey

After reading this thread and some other sources, it seems that the weight of honey vs. volume varies a bit depending on several factors. A fairly common practice is to use water weight/volume as a reference. "A pints' a pound the world around". I agree that a pound of honey is very close to 12oz liquid measure. If you are extracting fully capped comb is that the maximum weight possible? often there is some un-capped cells how important is that to the total weight/volume? As "Trapper Dave" mentioned, honey absorbs water. This would make a given volume weigh less. As I have observed, honey is sold by the beekeeper by weight and to the consumer by the container. The price of the honey is abstract. Let me apologize for the amount of words in this. I visited this thread after having several glass of mead with a brewer friend who wanted to know how much honey he would need to make five gallons of mead. I told him I would try to help him and he said he would give me some of his batch.

If you buy actual honey Jars, they are sold by the weight of HONEY in them.... not volume or water weight. IE a 1lb honey jar only holds 12 oz of water....(roughly)

Quote Originally Posted by okb View Post
    Just curiously wondering how many people sell a 16oz. jar of honey as 1#. Also how many are calculating 40#s in a full 5 gallon bucket?

Honey is heavier than water and is sold by weight here.
    How many full 5 gallon buckets of honey can I buy from you at 40lbs? I'll pay you $80.00 per each.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    If you buy actual honey Jars, they are sold by the weight of HONEY in them.... not volume or water weight. IE a 1lb honey jar only holds 12 oz of water....(roughly)
    Honey is heavier than water ya know.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I don't find anything in Texas law that requires that honey be sold by weight.
    My county in California requires the net weight on the jar.

My memory from reading rules last winter in Virginia is that honey weight needs to be on the jars in English (pounds and/or ounces and also in metric (grams), and that an underweight jar of honey makes you subject to Federal fines -- I think Mann Lake catalog has a helpful ounce to gram table on one of the pages with labels.
    I think even sideliners, if selling to the public, need to be sure to be the stated weight.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    My county in California requires the net weight on the jar.
    That's od frank, he must not have checked w/ his Dept. of Weights and Measures?
    Mark Berninghausen

It's been a few years since I filled pints (or quarts) but seems like its pretty tight getting a pound and a half into a pint jar. Typically a pound of honey has a volume of around 11 1/2 fl. ozs. Of course the variables are honey moisture and temperature.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    It's been a few years since I filled pints (or quarts) but seems like its pretty tight getting a pound and a half into a pint jar. Typically a pound of honey has a volume of around 11 1/2 fl. ozs. Of course the variables are honey moisture and temperature.
    Specifically why honey is sold by the pound and not the volume measure.
    Mark Berninghausen