Default Walking drones - what's wrong with them

Yesterday while I was observing my hives, I noticed a drone walking in the grass. After looking around for several minutes, I found a handful of them walking around sort of in a stupor. Did not notice any workers in the same condition. They all seemed to be light colored (just emerged?) I could find nothing wrong with them - but they did not fly at all. I could not tell which hive they were from (I have 4) as they were all over the place and some were quite a distance from the hives.

I see nothing else even mildly interesting around, under, or on the front porch of the hives. Worker bees flying normally, nectar flow is clearly on.

Am going to look through hives at earliest good weather day - but am looking for ideas?

Default Re: Walking drones - what's wrong with them

Poor buggers have been chasing women all day and are just buzzed out. They will all eventually fly back up into the hive when they've rested up a bit.

Peter

I wish the "poor buggers" did get rested up and fly back to the hive. But unfortunately, I am finding them dead in the grass around the hives. Still nothing of note from the hives to explain this. Any other ideas?

pick them up and look at the underside at the tip of the tail. if it is oozing, or if a gentle squeeze causes oozing, it means they gave their all in the mating process.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

I am finding a handful each of the last several evenings (greater than 20). They are not oozing. The eventually seem to loose their footing, and die laying on their backs or sides.

peter's probably right, it's mating time. i doubt that you're having any disease or pest problems.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf