Default $20 Billion Declining bee populations may lead to significant agricultural losses

Declining bee populations may lead to significant agricultural losses in U.S.
    by Miranda GreenMay 8, 2013 12:22 PM EDT

Nearly one-third of bee colonies perished last winter. A new study suggests the sudden decline in the population could take a big economic toll on the agricultural economy far beyond declines in honey production.
    The Agriculture Department estimates that insect-pollination directly contributes $20 billion to the U.S. economy annually.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...es-in-u-s.html
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: $20 Billion Declining bee populations may lead to significant agricultural losses

Despite the losses this past winter a record almond crop appears to be in the works. Based on some of the prices I keep hearing it looks to me like after the almonds it becomes competitive among beekeepers to get other pollination contracts. Is anyone aware of any segment of agriculture in the US that requires bees and isn't able to get them? My guess is with declining forage for honey production that even more hives will be searching out the "bird in the hand" that pollination guarantees.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Default Re: $20 Billion Declining bee populations may lead to significant agricultural losses

News is always about fearing something. It gets people to tune in again tomorrow to see what to fear next.

Whatever the reason something is going on with the Bees. We have ideas and countries are testing things out for example the EU banning some pesticides. I know people on here may disagree with pesticides being the issue and that is fine. However some steps need to be taken to help find the cause. (I'm not arguing right or wrong with what the EU has done) The ban in the EU is for 2 years correct? If the studies show Bees are still declining then we might be able to eliminate those pesticides as being the problem. However if Bees make a rebound in Europe we might have found the cause. The whole point i am trying to make is, Process of Elimination. Maybe Bees recover a little and we found one reason but have to look for another.

MOST things get done or don't get done because of MONEY. When there is BILLIONS at stake, something will be done to try and find the problem and correct it or at least until someone like Monsanto's can make an Almond Tree (And other pollinating plants) that doesn't need to be pollinated. Then no one will care about the bees again.

I'd say more specifically, it is not the money but the human GREED that greases the world to go around. I'd rather be an alarmist rather than a naysayer.

Not everything is "created" for humans only, you know. If bees can talk, I am certain, they will say they don't want anything to do with us: "What's in it for us?"

Greed is not always wht drives people, company's to do well. Sometimes it is he desire to succeed. Everybody in this old who is weathy is not greedy. Some are driven to be the best.

Here's what I think is going to happen. Monsanto will be coming out with a gene-spliced resistant bee. And every beekeeper who open mates his queens will soon be sued for infringing on Monsanto's patents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted adams View Post
    Greed is not always wht drives people, company's to do well. Sometimes it is he desire to succeed. Everybody in this old who is weathy is not greedy. Some are driven to be the best.
    To those who are wealthy and not greedy with their money,Im a disabled vet on a limited budget trying to put my son through a Christian Private school. I make a lot of sacrafices for him so he can have a good education and be a productive member of our society. If anyone who is not greedy I really could use some tuition help this year. Im not greedy, I don't want the money for myself. PayPal as a gift to djarkwood@gmail.com. thank you

Nearly one-third of bee colonies perished last winter. A new study suggests the sudden decline in the population could take a big economic toll on the agricultural economy –
    1/3, or 30% is the norm, not a "sudden decline", it's status quo. Nothing sudden, nothing permanent, the losses will be made up just like every other year.
    Many beekeepers still have in their heads an "acceptable loss" number which occurred in the Pre-Mite days (pre 1984); We have been in the Post Mite period for over 25 years. Guess what? we still have mites.

All this alarmism based on misinformation. 30% has been the norm for many years.

Wow this thread is running wild! A link was posted by the OP warning of a danger to US agriculture due to a lack of pollinators and warns of "dramatic changes to crops". Each year after the almond bloom some 1 million plus hives get shipped to many Midwestern states solely for honey production and never see another pollination gig. With that in mind, again, does anyone know of any crops in the US that are threatened because of declining bee populations?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Can't answer that Jim, doubt anyone can. Much as beekeepers could benefit in a bidding war if there ever is one.

What I can say, is I have been seeing threads like this every year, since I have been reading Beesource. It's kind of implied that in 3 years bees will be extinct, etc.... One this year said THIS was going to be the final year for bees.

I think the commercial beeks got too many smarts for that to happen.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Around here if you get a contract to grow watermelons you have to have at least 1/2 hive per acre. It would seem that the first place we would see this decline would be in the almond fields.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Here's what I think is going to happen. Monsanto will be coming out with a gene-spliced resistant bee. And every beekeeper who open mates his queens will soon be sued for infringing on Monsanto's patents.
    If I remember correctly there was a stink on here last year or the year before about Monsanto buying a big bee research lab/org and hiring some pretty well know bee scientists. So your statement would NOT surprise me at all if it happened. And it would NOT be for the benefit of the bees or the beekeeper. It really surprises me the support Monsanto, Bayer, and the like get on here.

Here's just a few of the threads btw.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...light=monsanto
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.