Default Pinch Off Supersedure Cells?

I made a split that left a strong survivor queen in the parent hive in my bee yard and used an extra Georgia package queen for the split in the out yard. I had planned to requeen the Georgia queen later this summer with a local treatment free queen, but the girls in the split jumped the gun. I had left the split queenless for a day to encourage acceptance of the Georgia queen and in that time they started 3 queens up on the edges of the top bar comb, exactly as they would a supersedure cell. Based on the size of the pupa, the queens in those cups are too old to be from the Georgia queen and must be from the parent hive. The genetics in those queen cups are exactly what I want however there are not really any drones to speak of in the area. Looking at the other hives in my out yard there are a good number of drones in the works but as I understand it from egg it takes just under 40 days for them to be ready to mate- so they will be fully cooked about 2 weeks too late. The virgins will not wait right? They fly- if they only find 2 drones they only find 2 drones? Seems a shame but should I go ahead and pinch off those queens and requeen later as originally planned when more drones are available?

Default Re: Pinch Off Supersedure Cells?

I think I would wait a few days and see what they do--you have a week or two before the cells hatch. If they accept your new queen, they will probably tear down the cells anyway. They seem to be very aware of their drone situation, so if they choose to raise their own queen when given a choice, it would be because they feel she has a good chance of mating. So many introduced package queens are rejected that I think it is cheap insurance to wait. The bees usually know best.

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    They seem to be very aware of their drone situation, so if they choose to raise their own queen when given a choice, it would be because they feel she has a good chance of mating.
    Are they aware though? I would like to think they are, but has anyone on the forum had the experience of a hive trying to raise a queen too early leading to unsuccessful mating flights? I am definitely considering your advice. I suppose if they are unsuccessful I can always give them another frame of day old larva to try in a month or get a northern treatment free queen from a local supplier.

Another alternative would be to move the queen cells into a small mating nuc and see if she mates successfully. If so, you can re-introduce her at a later date and keep your genetics. Luckily, you have another hive and can go with a backup plan so no matter what you decide, you should be ok. It is an interesting dilemma and I hope you'll let us know how it turns out so we can all learn from it.