Default Observation while Grafting

All, yesterday I was grafting from a friends stock in her bee yard. While doing so, I noticed when I was lifting out the eggs that with it came the shells of dead bees. In other words, the lower portion of the bees were lining the cells and then the queen dropped eggs in them. I have not seen this before. Anyone else? Does it affect the ability to raise queens at all? Thanks.

Default Re: Observation while Grafting

It may have been the casing from the bee that developed in that cell before the egg was placed there by the queen.
    Old Guy in Alabama

It hard for me to totally visualize what you're talking about. Did you cut back the cell walls for grafting? If so, its common to break free some of the built-up cocoons in old comb. Is this what you're seeing?
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

When the cells shrink enough, the bees start chewing out the cocoons. They taper this a bit (a magnifying class will show the layers as you go down. Possibly they chewed them most of the way to the bottom and this came out.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF