Thread: Ready to suck!

Default Ready to suck!

I've been wanting to do this project for over a year now and finally got around to getting it done. I picked up a used vacuum last year for nothing just for this project. Most everything else I had laying around the house. I spent less than 20 bucks to get it done minus the vacuum hose. It will get its first run this weekend when I go to remove a large hive out of a wall void.

Default Re: Ready to suck!

How does that work?
    Could you open it up and take some pics of the internals for us newbs?

Scorpi I'll do one better, Here is Robo's blog about it. Picture and instructions. http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

That's awesome.
    Thanks!

Use five gallon buckets lighter, come with handles, not so bulky, and no building required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrobisr View Post
    Use five gallon buckets lighter, come with handles, not so bulky, and no building required.
    5-ga buckets are too small for most of the removals I've done, don't have bars or frames, agitate the bees more, and can't be used to keep the bees in for any length of time. By contrast, a brushkill vac, or a hercules vac both use (modified) hives for the vac; so once the bees are sucked in, they're already "home" & don't have to be transferred again, just to get them to where you can legally keep them...not to mention the more adequate space of being able to use multiple boxes in a brushkill, or the equivalent of a triple-deep in my latest vac/hive box. 5ga bucket vacs may have some uses, but at least around here, 9 jobs out of 10 they'll be wholly inadequate for :/

cklspencer:
    Looks nice; good workmanship

I hope you plan a box in the middle of your vac. Other wise it looks great. One thing I did is add vac Connections from the wood working supply house. That fit my hoses.
    David

I hope you plan a box in the middle of your vac. Other wise it looks great. One thing I did is add vac Connections from the wood working supply house. That fit my hoses.
    David
    I have lots of boxes for the middle of the vac. hahahah!

I think a bucket is only good for a swarm. Doing cutouts is a whole different ball game. Like said above they just aren't always practical for a cut out. The bee vac is expandable to the size of the cut out. It makes it easy to move and transport with far less effect on the bees. It's also really easy to set the bees up in there location. No extra steps to dump bees and can all be done quickly even in the dark.