Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sideline uncapper.

@max2 - Sorry for the delay, been really busy. Unfortunately I only used medium frames, both plastic and wood. I leave all the deeps for the bees. In any event the bees here in NY are about a month behind schedule because of the longer winter/crappy weather.. Will have a review and a video sometime in July. I got the older model from brushy mountain, the newer ones are the same except they come with sturdy legs on it instead of being mounted on the tray. I have mounted mine on a table so it should be a lot more stable than when the guy in the video was using it sitting on top of two supers, which was very wobbly...

I have a chance to buy an older Maxant uncapper at a good price..........I am running about 50 hives now and plan on 500..........I am hoping that this will be suitable.
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

I really like my older Maxant. The only thing I wish is that the chains were adjustable. The newer ones are. It does take off a bit more wax than a knife, but I can live with it.

Greg755 - thanks for the info. Would love to see it working with Full Size frames if somebody is using it.

thanks
    max

Any update on the reveiw
    David

I'll just throw this out while you're waiting on the other reviews. I think this has also been reviewed in the past. First a couple disclaimers: I've had it 5-6 years and got it for much less then it's listed now.. Two of us share it so we were able to split the cost!

It works great with basically new wax added to previously drawn frames. Frames where foundation was used and not drawn out past the top bar are a little difficult to uncap, but need a couple passes through the roller. Not too big of a deal. Those spaces also can be hit quickly with uncapping fork etc... Really deep frames kind of "squish" through the roller, again not a big deal since all the honey ends up in the tub. But 9 frames from a 10 frame super, or 7 frames in a 8 frame super are easy to run through the uncapper. There are a couple adjustments so you can raise and lower the rollers based on your frames. But I pretty much just leave it from year to year since getting it set up for most of the frames.

The biggest downfall for me, is older comb that may have been used for brood is just dang tough to get through the rollers and pierced. Even with an uncapping knife you all know how tough it is. Same in the rollers.

I didn't want a large uncapping machine and I like that it doesn't need power. I didn't really have the space for anything larger and if it was able to be bolted down, so much the better. Mine just sits on a slab above a sink to bring it to counter height.

I also used to have quite a bit of honey from the electric uncapping knife that was a little darker, hotter, not burnt, but you all know the honey that's been "by" the hot knife. Well, allllll the honey through this process is still as good as coming out of the extractor. We put a honey gate on the tub so we could empty the tub without having to lift it to pour it. I leave it set up for a week or so and then strain what wax cappings are left. It just drains overnight.

All in all, if you know ahead of time the size and shape of the frames that work the best, and can get that setup in your supers you'll like it. Otherwise you just spend a little time with the uncapping fork and move on, not a big deal.. Just my two cents...

P.S. I admit to "hating" uncapping with a hot knife and wanted something that could make the job easier. With 40-60 hives and a mountain of supers each year, this made it at least bearable.

I had the great fortune to borrow a Sideliner Uncapper from a friend to uncap my frames this year. I'd actually visited the Brushy Mtn location in PA earlier in the day and bought a new 18 frame radial extractor with the new German Motor.

First the uncapper. I have to say that it's a good PROTOTYPE unit but nothing I'd pay $1,300 for. I ran almost 9 frame supers almost exclusively this year so the comb was drawn out well beyond the face of the frame. When I ran the frames through I found that it works best if you run them through very fast. I'd have thought that it'd be the opposite but faster worked better. The rollers did a better job sometimes rather than others. Most of the time I was left to scratch the frames to uncap them fully. Almost every time when the frames popped out on the other side, they were dinged severely by the rails that are intended to support them.

When I watched the Brushy video I was expecting to have myself on one side of the machine loading frames and my wife on the other taking them out. That's what you see in the video on the website. That is nothing close to what I experienced. Honestly, after too many frames getting badly dinged, I switched to scratching all of them open with my capping scratcher. It too opened all of the cells, removing less wax than a hot knife would.

The Extractor. Previously I had used a 9 frame radial extractor with a crank handle. I did it that way for a couple of years (getting a severe case of extractor-elbow each time) until we went in on a Baldor motor with a friend. The Baldor motor worked beautifully but this year we decided to upgrade to a larger extractor. I opted for the 18 frame radial with the German motor. This motor is reversible which allows you to extract both sides of the frame evenly without removing them from the extractor. The thing I noticed most was the noise made by the motor. It makes a very LOUD grinding noise when you start it up. We had no problems whatsoever with the motor and I don't care if it's noisy as long as it works. I was happy with the extractor. It worked the way it should, seems to be well made. When I unpacked the box though, it did not contain the baskets mentioned to spin your cappings. I'll have to call Brushy to ask about that.
    If you're not confused you just don't know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by kbfarms View Post
    We decapped and spun 20+ supers in one day last year. Couldn't have done that with a knife.
    well me and a friend did over 100 boxes in one day useing a hand knife

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12