Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sideline uncapper.

Does anyone have any experience with them i am thinking about getting one. I would like some reviews please thanks.

Default Re: Sideline uncapper.

I have never used one but I think they are over priced,plus you don't get any wax for candle making or to sell.

I have seen it demonstrated on here . . http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...eo=UiLQeSs-9Zg you can see Shane struggle with it a couple of times in the video.

I am not impressed with the "ease" of use. I agree with DC about 1200 is way too much for what you are getting.

I just bought one but wont have a review untill july...

Greg who's did you get? When you do your reveiw
    David

I got the brushy mountian sideliner (roller)

Looking forward to the review - un-capping fullsize frames - please

I have an older Maxant flail decapper that I love. I didn't even know I needed one until it came bundled in a small bulk honey house equipment buy we did last year. We decapped and spun 20+ supers in one day last year. Couldn't have done that with a knife.

Oh, you do get wax, on mine it falls down where I strain the honey from the capping.

Uncapping equipment can be one of the biggest investments you make in your beekeeping operation. Before you buy anything you'll want to determine how large of a business you eventually want to run. Having a more automated uncapper will only help speed up the harvest if you also have the right extractor. Three uncapping machines for sideline beekeepers are currently on the market. First is the sideliner uncapper from Brushy Mountain. I have seen the youtube video and it looks like a decent machine. It will leave more of the wax on the frame. Second is the Handy man Uncapper from Dadant. It is recommended to circulate hot water or steam through the knives. I have not personally used one of these. Third is the Maxant chain uncapper. I have a friend that uses one of these. He is able to keep two 20 frame extractors running constantly. Some beekeepers can get lucky and find used uncapping machines for a good price, but it is rare.

I was lucky ......I didn't even know what it was when it was unloaded off the truck. Had bought the lot primarily for the extractor. Did a search on the Internet, fired it up and realized what I had been missing in my beekeeping life. I went from a 4 -shallow frame homemade extractor that you had to stop and flip the frames, knife and 5 gal buckets to a 33 shallow frame extractor, chain decapper, three storage tanks, wax melter, honey heater, decapping tank and a bunch of other odds and ends. It was like stepping off a horse buggy and onto the starship enterprise : ).

Quote Originally Posted by kbfarms View Post
    We decapped and spun 20+ supers in one day last year. Couldn't have done that with a knife.
    REALLY??? I use a Pierce knife, and I do everything myself, uncap, load the radial extractor, unload extractor, stack empty supers, and filter the honey. I average 7 supers per hour. I can easily do 20 supers before lunch.

cchoganjr

Running 8 frame supers that averages a little less than a frame a minute besides the loading, unloading, filtering, stacking, breaking the full frames out of the supers.

You must have 8 hands..... all I can say is wow. I manage less than 1/2 that by hand, but I use a serrated knife which does slow you down. Also dont have a good enough uncapping tank to hold the 20 frames I need to uncap while my 20 frame extractor is spinning out.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-14-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: UNQuote

cchoganjr, you are obviously a much better beekeeper than I am.
    Last edited by kbfarms; 05-14-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: ...

kbfarms...jbeshearse... No, I am not a better beekeeper than you are, and no, I don't have 8 hands. I was just telling it like it is.

Here is how I do it. Frames are already broken out, as I do that at the bee yard. I only bring to the honeyhouse the fully capped frames, and virtually, no bees. I have a Kelly 9 frame, electric, radial extractor. I run all 8 frame, in 10 frame shallow supers. The combs are well drawn out, and there is rarely any picking of the comb. I uncap 6 frames, hang in the extractor and start it spinning. Takes maybe 20 seconds per frame to uncap. All you do is go up one side, spin the frame on the nail, and go down the other side. The hot knife does it all. I then uncap frames and hang each frame in the uncapping tank until I have 6 frames uncapped, Then unload the 6 frames that had been spinning and load the six that are in the extractor. About each 2 supers I pour the honey from the extractor into the filter system. It collects as the extractor is running. The honey then runs into 5 gallon buckets. As each 5 gallon bucket is filled, I put a lid on it, put a new bucket under filter tank.

I doesn't take long to extract honey, if you have 8 frames in 10 frame equipment and a good hot knife, (I use a Pierce or a Kelly knife with variable temperature control.) The 9 frame radial, when only putting 6 frames in it, will have the 6 frames extracted by the time you uncap six more frames.

cchoganjr

I would love to hear an unbiased review of this uncapper from someone who knows that it's like to uncap a lot of honey. I look forward to it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

jbeshearse...I read your response above and you stated your uncapping tank would not hold the 20 frames you uncap while you are spinning 20.
    Have you ever tried spinning just the number that your uncapping tank will hold. For instance, my uncapping tank will only hold 6 frames, and I found that uncapping 6 frames and spinning 6 frames is much, much, faster, than spinning 9 frames and uncapping 9 frames. It takes my 9 frame radial much longer to spin dry 9 frames than it does 6 frames. Just make sure the frames are balanced in the extractor.

cchoganjr

The video looks good, but I wonder how it works for really thick comb (like when you have 9 or 8 frames in a ten frame box) or really skinny comb that got capped before it was fully drawn. Those are always the trickier ones...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

FYI, for those who are interested an uncapping tank is not vital, it is easy to make an uncapping frame. Skip to post #5 for a photo.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...uncapping+rack

Thanks for the info looking foward for a review. I have looked around and still have not found one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast