Default saw palmetto in south Fl

I noticed this past week that saw palmetto is in bloom. It's a major nectar run here--but the blooms I saw had no honeybees on them. They had love bugs on them which I know leave a residue that bees will then avoid, but I wondered if others are finding it to be a big problem. I see minimal nectar increase now that orange blossom is done. I'm wondering if I"m done with honey extracting until fall. That would be a bummer as I didn't get much orange blossom either with the cool March temps.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: saw palmetto in south Fl

Refreshing my post in case anyone has an answer about saw palmetto in my area. Thanks.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

bevy: I'd never heard that about honeybees avoiding where love bugs have been, though admittedly love bugs are not as significant a problem here compared to there. (finally, a bug that isn't bigger and badder in South Florida! ) Love bug season is also so short (I remember 2 weeks?), I would think they will be long gone before the saw palmetto flow is done. Have you started getting afternoon rains there yet? We have been getting rain pretty regularly now, and the bees are booming! I can hardly keep up. Rain will help keep your flow going. Where in lee county are you? You are fortunate to have citrus near by. We're too far South for it.

Most of my hives are in Alva, just south of SR 80. I believe it was our inspector that told me about the love bugs and palmetto. So there's hope with the short life span? That is good to know! I have some backyard hives that are doing ok.

Not much rain at all here yet. 2 weeks ago we had rain for a couple days and none since. That explains the cranky bees.

Did you know that Michael Bush is speaking at West Palm Beach beekeepers association in September? Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there.

Thanks for the info.

I'll take love bugs (Annoying as they are) over the bloodsuckers any day!

I love the rain but I messed up on my citrus trees, I dumped a bunch of water on them when I first planted them, they started to recover and then 9 1/2 inches came a couple weeks ago so now they are in recovery again. it's a battle, what do I want more lol.

I have a yard in pinelass park/ largo
    The bees are packing it in
    Best I've seen in a couple years
    Praying the love bugs don't ruin it

Our Palmetto is not quite as far a long as yours. Ours is just now starting to turn yellow. They should start popping in the next week or so. There seems to always be a lag in when stuff starts blooming and when the bees start working it. I bet with in the next few days you will see them start. If you have any Gallberry in the same area I bet they are working it and haven't switched over to the Palmetto yet. My bees did poor in Oranges this year too. But, have been wide open every since I brought them back home. You should start to see them put on some weight over the next few weeks.

Palmetto flow around here (sandhills and pine scrub north of Tampa) started in mid-April and is still going strong. Have a nuc from a split that is waiting on queen mating and they're packing in the honey right now. They're almost on their way to being honey bound before the queen even gets to lay! The honey is a very light and fantastic tasting honey also. From the looks of it during my last quick nature walk, there are still a lot of shoots to come. I'm thinking we're about half way through. The last strong saw palmetto bloom in my area was two years ago and it was totally finished first week in June.

BTW: the love bugs have started here and I haven't noticed anything different on the blooms. I still see lots of honey bees on the blooms.

Thanks for all the replys!

Nature, is there a time of day they collect off Palmetto? I was at my hives this afternoon and still no bees on bloom. I also did not see as many love bugs as there were last week. Whew!

No rain in past 2 weeks.

Later afternoon I was at my son's and went for a walk with granddaughter. His neighborhood has tons of palmetto--I checked a few of them, no honeybees. I know his area has bees because I have put out 3 swarm boxes and had 2 small swarms move in. One is still there.

johng, I will look up a picture of gallberry. I see a bush that looks like a berry of some kind, ready to bloom.

I try not to look too deep into hive boxes at this time. Mostly I open the lid to see if they need another box. Most have deep with 2 supers, though the comb is not capped yet. I plan to wait til 1st or 2nd week of June to see what they've done. That's around the time of my yearly inspection.

Palmetto has not bloomed here yet but the Tallow Trees are starting! Native persimmons are blooming, don't know if they produce nectar or pollen.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Bevy,

Can you smell the slight scent of the palmetto if you get close to the bushes? Right now, with the cooler nights we've been having (50F earlier this week) the bees have been working the palmetto all day long. Rain/moisture is also critical for the blooms to produce from what I understand. You could have good blooms with little nectar if no moisture. Usually those blooms will start to brown very quickly on the shoot and it will go bare soon thereafter. We had some decent rains a week or so ago which set the bloom up nicely around here. The sandy soil is still damp just about an inch or so down. Now, the hot days and cool nights have a nice flow that should carry into at least first week or so of June. I've seen some saw palmetto with spent blooms and berries already firmly set.