Default Bees dying at entrance with pollen on their legs...

Hi all - I have some new packages that I installed about 2 weeks ago. Earlier this week, I witnessed bees coming in with pollen on their legs, but dying on the top of the hive. I live in SW Colorado and thought at first it must be the chilly weather (35-40 at night), but today, I witnessed the bees coming in with pollen on their legs, landing and then shortly thereafter on their backs and dying....I REALLY need to figure out the cause of this before I loose all my bees....thoughts please!

Default Re: Bees dying at entrance with pollen on their legs...

I assume that only some of the bees bringing back pollen are dying. Are they carrying a different color pollen that the ones that don't die? Indicating that you have a source of pollen that might have been sprayed with a pesticide?

I agree with thenance007, it sounds like they have gotten into someone's pesticide.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

The pollen is from dandelions that we have in our field.....same as the others are bringing into the hives. We live in an area where I would "typically" know if someone had sprayed or recently fertilized. Do you think if someone sprayed their dandelions in their yard that would do it?

I am soooo sad to see my bees dying!

I will look more closely today, but I think there may have been some bees on the top of the hive that were dead that did NOT have pollen on them...

"Crawlers" in front of a hive are pretty strong evidence of a pesticide issue of some sort. Highly unlikely that it is from an herbicide.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Package bee's are shaken, they have old and young bee's. They may just be old bee's that you are seeing dead.

If the weather is chilly, the bees will get chilled on way back to hive and very tired. They may not have enough strength to get into the hive and revive. They would probably explain the ones on top of the hive. Around the entrance, possibly. Pick one up and hold it in your hand, the warmth from the hand revives them unless they are stiff or upside down.

What are the temps there?

I would choke down the entrance then move the hive about 10 ft to a new location,if they are dying that fast. Moving the hive would give them time to die before getting in and pos infecting the whole hive.
    Sorry for your bad luck,beeks hate hearing about beeks being nailed by people spraying.i myself have Ben there and had that happin.once again sorry for your troubles.

Sounds like poison. Bees will collect miles away sometimes. Commonly you'll see crawlers, with a "quivery look". They can't walk right, got shakes. One of my neighbors.......grrr!

Whatever it is - it's for sure not neonicitinoids.

I kid. Sorry.