Thread: Tiny black ants

Default Tiny black ants

They are living on top of my topp boards. There are eggs and larva. When I inspect my hives, I give them the heave ho... but this happened last year. Off course Spectrum or any other sprays are out of the question. Anyone got any advice?

Default Re: Tiny black ants

Ground Cinnamon!

Sprinkle it around in the hive and around on the ground. I was amazed how well it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    Ground Cinnamon!

Sprinkle it around in the hive and around on the ground. I was amazed how well it worked.
    Thanks for the tip. I give it a try tomorrow.

Ignore them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Easier said than done. You can't just ignore them when you see the bees getting stressed out and pissed off. I had a couple hives leave because of them.

They ants like a dark place to raise their brood. They don't like light, and I found this out when I placed an empty brood chamber on top of a hive when I was using a feeder jar. The brood chamber allowed light in through the auger hole. Since then, the ants have stayed completely out. The empty brood box was placed on top of the inner cover, and the telescoping cover was placed atop the brood box.

I thought about cutting down a box to form a rim about 2 inches high with some holes in it for ventilation. A small cover would need to be made for the inner cover hole to still allow for ventilation, but prevent propolis build-up on the vents in the rim.

JB