Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Package bees keep leaving...

14K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  chr157y 
#1 ·
Hi everyone... I'm new at this so any help is appreciated. I built a cedar TBH and added about 2 lbs of bees last Saturday that a beekeeper shook from an existing L hive. We both saw the queen go in. (no cage) Gave them about 10 bars worth of space. Been feeding 1:1 sugar syrup. TBH has a wooden bottom...no screen. I noticed they stayed clumped and didnt seem interested in building comb. I let them out Monday around noon since a few found a small exit and they started gathering like crazy. Noticed many bees entering with tons of pollen on their legs (5ea 3/4" holes and 2ea 1" holes at the end on the top; so I could see which size they liked best). By Tuesday afternoon the hive was empty and I found them in my neighbors' tree. I captured and returned them to the hive, this time with 20 bars of space, and have kept them fed but locked in. Many are clumped in one spot and many are active around the hive, but none are building comb. I do not have any to get them started. There is a dog that barks about 30 feet behind my fence on occasion. I do not believe that bothers them much because they seem gentle. I caught the swarm and check the feeder with no gear. Occasionly I'll get buzzed but nothing close to aggressive. I have only looked in the observation window about 5 times over the last 2 days. Any ideas to make them stay? Am I doing something wrong? Fire away with any questions. Thanks...

#27 ·
There is definitely something they don’t like...hive, too many houses, neighbor’s dog that sometimes barks...
The hive is completely closed now but not near air tight. Its now in full shade from about 2:00 till dark about 8:30. It has a tin top roof that should deflect alot of heat.
The feeder is a 1 pint jar and lasts about 3-4 days for about 2 lbs of bees. No clue if that’s alot or a little.
They did build comb, nice and straight. Only about 30 sq inches. This was from last Tuesday till Sunday when the hive was closed trying to get them to make a home.
Most of them were still clumped on the limb so I put the limb in and gave it a quick shake. The ones still in the box I just poured in.

#29 ·
Racer, give me a call. I live 35 miles SW of you. I am sure we can get you started. I'm thinking of a NUC box to start. I have several available. Even have a swarm in a bait box I haven't brought home yet. Will PM you with contact info. :)

#30 ·
If its 2 3's # should be around 8,000 bees if none have died. Even if it is 10,000 that's not very many so fewer bars and the lemon grass. I have a swarm trap made for top bars to fit would only take about 20-30 minutes to build out of pine and you could try it and see if they stay. If they do once comb and brood are present just transfer the bars.

#32 ·
If they are wanting to leave and not building comb you are not really disturbing anything. I would build a quick pine box that your bars will fit, put them in and see if they will build. A lot easier then catching them each time they leave. Then if they leave I would let them go and wait for the next swarm or cutout. You can't keep the love of your life if she don't love you.

#33 ·
There is Nothing Wrong with all cedar. An Oregon company for many years has sold ONLY ALL cedar top bar hives and warres and no one has absconding problems. It cannot be the cedar. If there was glue or paint or treated wood or metal in part of it,that's a whole different deal, but it is not the cedar. My husband made me a brand new all cedar top bar last winter that I've used this last 6 weeks. I'd put some lemongrass in it too. To me it stunk to high heaven of both fresh cut cedar and lemongrass, and my bees have been Totally happy since day one!

#34 ·
Good to know about the cedar. I did not know for sure myself, I just wondered. I have a fellow down the road here with a lumber mill that makes everything for outdoor use out of cedar... he claims it repels insects. So, I was wondering about the use of it for bee boxes. Thanks for setting me straight.

#35 ·
I've made my second hive out of cedar so I sure hope the bees like it (not in use yet). It just seems like the bees this person captured don't like something about the hive he has. A quick nuc made out of pine was just a suggestion to try to help him stop playing catch with the bees.

#39 ·
UPDATE: Hi everyone...sorry...didnt get an email so didnt know I had responses!!??!! I have a closed floor, but I do have observation windows, but they are covered. Wood came from Home Depot and dried before I built the hive so I dont smell the cedar...not saying the bees can't. The hive is in my backyard against the "none used" side of the house. The wind does swirl if its windy but not bad. The hive is level to the eye. I used only two drops of lemongrass and rubbed it on the last bar. My guess is my neighborhood is a little too busy for them. Its quiet, so I'm hoping they decide its home.
The bee patties and the plastic queen excluder came in the mail last Thursday. I gave them the food that night, and let the sugar water run out...probably Saturday. I cut the excluder to fit over the entrance holes, installed it Friday morning, and let them out. I have limited my visits to twice looking in the window since Friday, and as of this morning, they are still clumped around what little comb they made a week ago. Not sure how much it has expanded. There is coming and going from the hive. I'm assuming the queen excluder is working since they stayed past the two day mark for the first time! Once I see good brood, I'll remove the excluder. If they leave then, I would have felt bad for making them stay. Please let me know if you see any red flags. Just noticed some of the names that have responded and I am humbled. Thanks again for taking time to help me out...

#40 ·
> I gave them the food that night, and let the sugar water run out.

If "food" refers to patties, most patties are a high percentage protein, and low percentage of carbohydrate. That mix is generally a substitute for pollen, but bees also need carbs, usually from nectar / honey. My point is that "pollen" patties are not a substitute for syrup. I'd keep offering syrup until they stop taking it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.