Default deals on Vegetable oil SHB

Went buy the grocery store and wasn't thrilled with the price of V.O. However Canola Oil was cheaper, before I buy Canola Oil I just want to first make sure it's ok to use (No issues) just for the simple fact all I hear is use V.O. so maybe there is a reason why no one says use Canola Oil. Second, besides used V.O. where can I buy cheap V.O. or Canola OR? Also do I dilute the oil with water and if so what ratio?

Default Re: deals on Vegetable oil SHB

Either type of oil will work they drown in it. No don't mix water just straight oil, some people mix a drop of apple cider in the oil to help attract them. Don't spill the oil on the frame or bees it will kill them if it gets on them. Use a medicine dropper to fill the trap and carefully and slowly remove them when done.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Personally I use fgmo (food-grade mineral oil) because it never turns rancid, but even plain water with a bit of detergent in it will work in a bottom trap. For the small traps that hang between the frames, the manufacturers recommend adding vinegar as an attractant, I believe. But the big bottom trays don't really need an attractant.

HTH

Rusty

Any oil will work and as far as getting the oil into the trap go by your local feed store and ask for the largest syringe and needle. Then if you worry about poking yourself grind the sharp point down to a round edge. This works like a champ and is very direct and easy.

Mineral Oil...it doesn't go rancid.

You setting the oil in traps? SBB? Where are you using? I use mineral oil in beetle blasters....a bit more info?
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 05-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Mineral Oil...it doesn't go rancid.

You setting the oil in traps? SBB? Where are you using? I use mineral oil in beetle blasters....a bit more info?
    At the moment I have traps and the SBB, not sure if I should use both right now or at all but mostly just incase and to see what one i like more.

BeesInMiami, I have SBBs with large trays beneath in a closed system. I keep about a quarter-to half-inch of mineral oil in the trays. Even mites wind up in these traps. So far I have not needed any other traps to keep the beetles whipped. However, I've also built some FatBeeMan's top feeders and may use his traps there if that becomes a problem spot.

My traps look like this:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...51/MAKE018.jpg

HTH

Rusty

Edited to add a link for how to build these traps:
    greenbeehives.com
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 05-10-2013 at 05:29 AM.

The small red squeeze bottles for ketchup seem to work just fine for filling the between frame traps. Get them at Wally World or the Dollar Store.

Quote Originally Posted by alblancher View Post
    The small red squeeze bottles for ketchup seem to work just fine for filling the between frame traps. Get them at Wally World or the Dollar Store.
    Good idea!

Where is the cheapest place to buy Mineral oil?