Default Hi from N.E. Arizona

Hi. New member,but sorta experienced beek. I am the swarm guy around here. Talking about myself isn't my favorite think, so U gotta ask.

Default Re: Hi from N.E. Arizona

Welcome to the site!

Soooooo....are you good? Are you the best? Are you fast? Ever had a swarm you couldn't get? :-)

What's your experience with AHB in your part of AZ?

Welcome JB!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Big Grin Re: Hi from N.E. Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

Soooooo....are you good? Are you the best? Are you fast? Ever had a swarm you couldn't get? :-)
    I use swarm lure in boxes, sometimes the ones you cut out just leave! I don't think I'm the best , what are you, one of those that are always challenging others? All the swarms I didn't catch were swarms I didn't get.
    What about you? Good? fast? Best? Crazy? LOL.!!!

There are lots of them here, probably 50- 75% wild caught are. You need a good tight beesuit. As a swarm catcher I get lots. Requeen!
    Although all of them can be worked like any bees, Few wild bees will be mellow like domestic ones. The AHB are pretty un-nerving! They are sometimes Dangerously defensive! But healthy, good producers, fine for requeening. My friend keeps some just to split, and they are also some of his best producers. With the "Usurping" traits of var. scuttella (AHB) I wonder if any bees in Africa are not already genetically hybrids. Worst case, I have had them usurp good hives, and next time you open the box there is a BIG difference! From Euro bees, to AHB in a few days. Gotta be ready, never get casual with them!