Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Re: Simplified Inch Dimensions & Using As Bait Hive

Quote Originally Posted by A. S. Templeton View Post
    If you actually read Beekeeping For All (find the Heaf translation), you'll find out why you cannot omit the quilt or simply (attempt to) run Langstroth boxes as Warré hives.

And if you ever hope to trade in Warré hive equipment you'd better stick to the metric dimensions.

Half an inch gap between top bars is too wide; better study up.
    I have read that, but a 1" topbar width leaves a 3/8 remainder for bee-space. Thats,1&3/8ths. Do the math! No matter what was written, I have used the dimesions converted to inches, for years. Also, the standard inner feeder cover ,as commonly used in Lang. Hives is convenient, costs less time, and allows me to feed easily, with a spare box, and a wide mouth mason jar. I dont like the quilt, although I do understand the theory and use of it. After 2 years of using quilts I abandoned them as an unneeded waste of time. Also winter kills in hives dropped, probably as a result. You need to take some chances, scoldy fanboy! P.S. its my hobby, not an obsession with Abbe~ Warre's work. You would like my hives, ifyou have an open mind. Thanks for the input.

Default Re: Simplified Inch Dimensions & Using As Bait Hive

Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    I have read that, but a 1" topbar width leaves a 3/8 remainder for bee-space. Thats,1&3/8ths. Do the math! No matter what was written, I have used the dimesions converted to inches, for years. Also, the standard inner feeder cover ,as commonly used in Lang. Hives is convenient, costs less time, and allows me to feed easily, with a spare box, and a wide mouth mason jar. I dont like the quilt, although I do understand the theory and use of it. After 2 years of using quilts I abandoned them as an unneeded waste of time. Also winter kills in hives dropped, probably as a result. You need to take some chances, scoldy fanboy! P.S. its my hobby, not an obsession with Abbe~ Warre's work. You would like my hives, ifyou have an open mind. Thanks for the input.
    Well, what you are doing is not consistent with Warré means or methods, and so your postings are OT in this section of the beesource forum. And I don't believe your in-your-face sarcasm or name-calling are called for. Evidently with your mere month's presence in beesource you have yet to learn your way around and find the right category for your, er, style of beekeeping.

I'll help you out and report your misconduct to the moderators. Maybe they'll let you off with a friendly warning.

Default Re: Simplified Inch Dimensions & Using As Bait Hive

I read with interest your last message. How did you get the idea that I use langstroth boxes as Warre hives? I'm not sure where you got that from.
    Here's a really interesting thing , that you may not be aware of. I use 8 frame langstroth boxes, (when I need framed gear) as I have trouble lifting the bigger ones when full. The inner dimension of a Warre box (310 mm,), and the width of an 8 frame Lang box,(12") are 4 mm. difference. My next experiment, is to see if I can --blasphemey-- Cut the 4 top edges into a top bar rest so as to use --sacrilage-- BOTH Warre top bars or if I wish, install Langstroth standard frames. 2 boxes would have the approximate volume of 3 & 1/2 Warre boxes. The bars would be installed warmway, but bees don't mind that. This would be a Universal box, and I think Abbe~ Warre would be proud of me!
    Please appraise me of your thoughts on this. I will send pictures, after I get one set up. It's first use will be as a swarm lure, as I am trying to get more bees this year. I know You'll LOVE it!
    P.S. Try to keep the moderator from spanking me, please. 90% of my hives are Warre hives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12