Default Hiving in the rain.. and direct queen release??

Getting packages tomorrow and forcast 60% chance of rain. Sat forcast 50%. I have to get them in this weekend due to scheduling. Has anyone had to do this before? Any advice on this? I dont think its a great idea but I kind of have to.

Also.. since time is short and I am not able to return to the hive for 2 weeks, I was going to direct release the queen. Is this a really bad idea?

Default Re: Hiving in the rain.. and direct queen release??

On the direct released queens it is completely dependent on how much you are willing to risk loosing your queen... Probably 90% of the time direct releasing is successful, but I get dozens of calls per year where it went wrong and the buyer is looking for a new queen for the now doomed package.

The rain you just have to wait and see on... forecasts are not always right.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago into a topbar hive that had a starter comb they were in the mail almost 4 days and were starting to pull comb off the queen cage in the package it wasn't raining hard and they were a little testy due to weather so it sucked holding my hand in there to release her on the comb but all worked well in less than a day they were bringing in pollen and seem to be doing great

Overcast/rainy weather is better for installing packages than warm/sunny weather. The rain helps keep the bees in their new home, until they settle in and accept it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

> I was going to direct release the queen. Is this a really bad idea?

In my opinion it's the best idea.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

They may, if you do or don't release her, leave and move next door if she is not appealing, but that risk doesn't change with a direct release. I've never had them kill her. I HAVE had her fly, but you can stack that deck on that. First, don't let her out until she is calm. Right after you shake bees off the cage, she will NOT be calm. Pop the cork and quickly cover the hole with your finger. Lay the cage on top of the pile of bees in the bottom of the hive. Let go. Keep your body over the hive so she doesn't see sky above her. Set the frames gently in the gap where you poured the bees and put the queen cage. As they settle (while the bees move out from under them) keep your bod over the hive. Once they settle put the cover on.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I hived two nucs in the rain last Saturday. I think I was more miserable than the bees. But the downside is that I really didn't have the time to look closely at the frames and bees. I just wanted to get them in the hives and get them fed. I hived two packages a week before that. I plan on making a detailed inspection of all hives next Monday..All the bees are flying and bringing in pollen to all the hives, so I guess I'll be ok.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

Thanks for sharing this link Michael. The most useful information packed 5 minutes of bee material reading I've ever done!!