Thread: Questions

Default Questions

When you combine two hives how long will it take for them to eat thru the paper? How long should I wait before checking them?

Default Re: Questions

Assuming here that you made a few small slits in the paper,it doesn't take long.I check mine after about three days and remove the remaining paper.That said,making a simple screen board from plywood and window screen works better.

If you combine in the afternoon with one sheet of newspaper between the bees, the bees will have chewed through by the next morning. If you are good at finding queens check anytime you wish, if you have trouble seeing queens wait a week and look for young larvae.

I wonder where that "Paper Divide" notion came from? It does nothing.....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Somewhere between an hour and a week... sometimes a weak hive doesn't get very motivated...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I did it last Friday with a very weak hive that had a queen, no capped brood other than drones, and barely enough bees to cover two frames. The hive next to it was booming; packed full of bees and four full shallow supers of honey. I took an empty super off the weak hive, and took a full super off the strong hive and reversed them, bees and all. Gimme an hour, and I'll go open them up and post a photo of their progress.

Can't get the attachments box to load, so no photo. Looks like they've chewed a oval-shaped hole and exposed three frames. I called it good and removed the remaining newspaper.

Thanks for the information