Thread: Ticks

Default Ticks

What have people found effective for keeping ticks off of the beekeeper and not upsetting to the bees?

I'm 2 weeks in to a 3 week course of antibiotics and I do not like the side effects and would just as soon not need to repeat.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Default Re: Ticks

I can't think of the name off hand, but i bought it at Walmart in the sporting goods section. It's a spray treatment for clothes. I use it for my hunting clothes that I don't wash often. Spray it on your clothes, Let your clothes sit for a few hours prior to wearing, should last a couple weeks. It specifically says it repels ticks.

I haven't tried it on my bee clothes to see how it will affect the bees though.

Or if your worried about ticks crawling up through your pants leg, you can do what we used to do in the army and wear a dog flea and tick collar around your boots at the ankle.

Good Luck
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

from one of the reviews: "very toxic to insects."

The last time I checked bees were insects too. Any experience working bees while using this or other Permethrin containing products?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Just spray it on your shoes and the bottom of your pants legs. This will keep most of the ticks off. I also check my bee jacket often, they are much easier to see on the white fabric. Carry a small vial of alcohol to drop the ticks into, it will kill them right away. WI is wild with ticks right now.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Powdered sulfur put into a jar or can with holes to sprinkle on your lower pants legs and shoes. The best method is to put the sulfur into a tight knit sock and hit the target area with the loaded sock thus dispersing the sulfur in just the right amount. Be forewarned that who ever does your laundry will not enjoy the task, but the ticks, fleas, and every other insect will avoid you without any harm to any insects to include your bees.