Default 1st Time grafting/cloake board method

Got my cloake board on yesterday,today I took all the brood out of the top box,put the metal cover in over the queen excluder and opened the bottom entrance back up. So tomorrow I will be putting my grafts in. This being the first time I have ever grafted I was wondering if anyone had any really good pics of larva that is of the perfect size for grafting? Some pics I could refer back on while grafting would be great.

Default Re: 1st Time grafting/cloake board method

I tried grafting for the first time this year and what I found to be helpful was to look for the row of cells next to the eggs that have very small larva. They would have been laid sooner and already hatched, If you see an egg it's too fresh and if it's shaped like a "C" then It's too old,good luck.

Got my cloake board on yesterday/////////// Did you rotate the hive 180 degrees ?

Yep hive was also rotated yesterday when I put the Cloake board on but that does bring up a good question when do I rotate it back?

I`ve heard that some people don`t bother turning it. But it does populate the upper box more, crowds them in. I made a bottom board with entrance front and back , use a solid reducer, keep it in the back, then when the slide goes in I move it to the front, two days later when I pull the slide I move it to the back again. Alot easier to just move a stick than to rotate