Default Feeding honey with quail waterer

I wanted to feed some old honey to a couple of light nucs. A local 30 year beekeeper had told me about using quail waterers for syrup and thought the one quart size would work well. It turns out they worked very well. It's getting down to the thirties at night occasionally so I put a piece of cardboard on the top bars to help hold heat down. The quail waterer sits near a hole cut in the cardboard with a covered empty nuc body around it. One nuc took to the honey right away and the other took about a day. Now they are both staying busy night and day. Replaced one empty jar last night and had several bees in the jar. I shook the bees out, but then decided to lay the empty far on its side so they could finish cleaning it out. I found a few posts about quail waterers, but thought this might be worth passing along. The waterers are available in quart and gallon size online. My friend Joe says the quail waterers won't drown bees like chicken waterers because the space is narrower. I haven't seen more than one or two drowned bees. A screen ring would keep bees from getting in the empty jar, but it isn't a big deal to shake them out either. Best price I've found was $1.49 I think for the quart lids without a jar.

It's been interesting to see the beard like chain of bees coming through the hole to the waterer.

Ken

Default Re: Feeding honey with quail waterer

They have plastic rings that go into the feeding section, which would keep the bees out or prevent drowning. The Oregon state university also used these feeders, but without the rings. The rings are called grill and are made by Kuhl.
    http://www.kuhlcorp.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51J769254&rnd=9153580&rrc=N&affl=&cip= &act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=GRILL-25&cat=poultry-manualdrink&catstr=HOMEoultryoultry-drinkoultry-manualdrink

Not sure why the URL shows the smiley faces, but the link does work.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I suspect the forum software just sees a colon and parentheses next to one another as a smiley.

I figured too, but just wanted to make sure nobody thinks I'm pulling an April Fools Day in Fall. LOL
    Ironically I was just looking at these feeders 2 days ago.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I've tried several different methods of feeding syrup and the Quail Waterers are my first choice. It also works particularly well in cooler weather when the bees will not venture too far from the cluster and ignore a hive top feeder. I'm feeding a couple of colonies right now with them and it's amazing how quickly they can take down a gallon of syrup, even in cooler temps. Place 3/4" nylon rope in the tray and you will have zero bees drown.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/MAG_Ohio/Quail Waterer Feeder/?albumview=slideshow
    To everything there is a season....

Nice pictures Mike. Good idea about the rope too. The two nucs I'm feeding are still taking honey with the quart feeders. Last year my bees quit taking syrup from hive top feeders earlier than this. I was feeding Fumagilin also though and thought that might be part of the reason they weren't taking the syrup.
    Ken
    Last edited by Barry; 11-09-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: quoting

I use the five gallon chicken waterers. I cut a small strip of pipe foam insulation that forms a gasket around the bottom of the cover when I slide the cover on. I then put a stick in the hole the syrup drains through - but there is still enough room around the stick for the syrup to flow. Four hives will take care of three gallons in an afternoon. I do put small rocks where the syrup collects so the bees can climb up on them. Just feed two days ago, and lost about 30 bees in each of the two feeders.

Does the 3/4 inch rope keep the bees from entering the hole from which the syrup flows through? I have used pebbles but bees have crawled inside and died...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    I've tried several different methods of feeding syrup and the Quail Waterers are my first choice. It also works particularly well in cooler weather when the bees will not venture too far from the cluster and ignore a hive top feeder. I'm feeding a couple of colonies right now with them and it's amazing how quickly they can take down a gallon of syrup, even in cooler temps. Place 3/4" nylon rope in the tray and you will have zero bees drown.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/MAG_Ohio/Quail Waterer Feeder/?albumview=slideshow

No, the rope does not block the holes in the tray. But I've never had much of a problem with losing many bees inside the feeder.

If you are having a problem with too many bees getting inside the feeder you could try pushing a piece of screen into the openings to block the bees from crawling through.
    To everything there is a season....

thanks for the reply...I need to get some 3/4 rope