Default Dropping like...

I first thought this swarm I caught might have been exposed to pesticides. But now I'm not so sure. I'm learning that the symptoms of pesticide poisoning closely resemble classic symptoms of acute bee paralysis virus or CBPV. I gave this swarm some frames of honey from my colonies that died this winter. Could the honey be harboring these viruses?

I caught this swarm on Tuesday and about 2/3 to 3/4 have expired. They were flying all over the place when I got there. If I hadn't had the box lured with lemongrass and two frames of honey, they might have not stayed. I shook a branch of bees into the box and the rest started marching in. I stayed around for awhile and returned at nightfall when the last ones went inside. This was in the driveway of a private house in a very upscale neighborhood. Right next to a golf course. Literally. On the other side of the driveway! The homeowner said he'd check with his gardener and the golf course groundskeeper about recent pesticide use. Haven't heard back yet. Homeowner loves bees. He wouldn't be the one to spray. He even took photos of the episode.

Dead and dying on the ground outside the hive entrance. No foraging flights. Shaking, wings apart like a K on top of frames. Disoriented and reacting like I'm not even there. None noticeably hairless as in ABPV. But the strange thing is that they are building comb.

If my honey has the possibility of being tainted, I don't want bees going near it.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Dropping like...

Sounds like a pesticide!

Consider new foundation and feed 1:1 white sugar.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Default Re: Dropping like...

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Sounds like a pesticide!

Consider new foundation and feed 1:1 white sugar.
    They are in a cardboard nut box. 3 frames with no foundation. 2 frames of honey from my dead hives.
    My bee yard is in the NY State Watershed. No pesticide use in my foraging area. My own bees had no issues. Possible pesticide overspray in the area I caught the swarm which was about 150 miles from my bee yard.

My concern is virile contamination of the honey from my own dead outs. That's why I posted.