Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Howdy from Texas

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  robherc 
#1 ·
This is a great website, especially for novice beekeepers. I've been lurking for 4 or 5 months now trying to learn as much as possible before my package installs this coming Saturday (70% chance of rain & thunderstorms....wouldn't you know). My e-Reader is filled with mostly books on beekeeping and have spent many evenings watching many instructional videos. My original intention for keeping bees was for an inexpensive way to get an agricultural exemption on my small farm....well, after all the reading & videos, I have become rather infatuated with these little creatures, and expect this to be a wonderful new hobby. I have actually planted a large bee friendly flower garden for them as well as have a regular garden which I assume they will help with needed pollination.

#2 ·
Howdy right back. I'm also in Texas, and installed my first two packages Monday. I had bees for three previous years; that's a long, dramatic story, but this year is the first time I've paid for any. We just checked to make sure the queens were out and both cages were empty. Busy girls are hard at work on building comb, and we saw several coming in with pollen. We also have rain in the forecast, and my garden needs it!

Tell me more, if you will, about the agricultural exemption. What are the qualifications for such a thing? Is it state or county?

Good luck with your bees!

#3 ·
Sounds as though your hives are off to a good start ! I'm hoping for a rain-free window late afternoon on Saturday to do the install. Not gonna complain too much with the draught Texas has experienced the last 2 years. The Ag exemption info was given to me by our county tax appraiser...I'm fairly certain it is a county by county thing. In Colorado County, you have to have at least 5 acres (mine is 11+) and have to have a minimum of 6 hives...he said they won't actually inspect the hives, just see that they are on the property...I may put up 4 "dummy hives" and have the two working hives....voila 6 hives ! But who knows...if the first ones go well, I may actually hive the other 4.....good luck with your bees as well !

#8 ·
I'm about 5 minutes WSW of Columbus....would enjoy getting together. I decided to use Warre hives...something a little different than most, but wanted a minimalist approach to beekeeping...we will see how it goes. I'm picking up my packages Saturday morning from BeeWeaver in Navasota. Kinda apprehensive about hiving Saturday with darn good chance for rain....may have to wait until Sunday

#9 ·
Sounds cool, I've been running TBHs here on the coast for a little over a year now; had 5 of 7 make it through last winter, 1 of the dead-outs I didn't expect to make it (was super weak), other one surprised me, but 1 unexpected death in 6 healthy hives ain't too bad for a winter, IMHO... so much for non-lang hives "keeping package producers in business" eh? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.