Default Another new guy here

Always been fascinated with bees (and bugs in general).

I'm finally getting to a point in my life that I think I can handle having a hive. I have a 3 year old that I'm raising to appreciate all living things and trying to keep her from getting indoctrinated with the fears most people have of insects, snakes and such.

We rescued a drowning bee out of my in-law's swimming pool the other day and while she was warming up and drying off I let her crawl on the baby and she was very calm and then said "ok, you can take it back now". Then it promptly flew away and we said "bye".

The other day she found a small roach and picked it up to play with it... my wife was kind of grossed out but I made her hide her reaction as it really isn't rational and sends the wrong message. She said "isn't he so cute!" LOL Innocents of a child!

I'm hoping that I will be able to share this experience with her and teach her how important bees are to our lives and how every creature needs to be treated with respect.

Default Re: Another new guy here

Welcome to the site.

Welcome..maybe you can find a local bee club that can help you get started. Or has an observation hive you can show to your youngster. Something to keep in mind is the south has a lot of dangerous bugs too so showing a healthy caution could be in your best interests!

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    Welcome..maybe you can find a local bee club that can help you get started. Or has an observation hive you can show to your youngster. Something to keep in mind is the south has a lot of dangerous bugs too so showing a healthy caution could be in your best interests!
    That is the plan!

Louisiana is pretty tame when it comes to bugs and things... even the spiders are pretty tame.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com