Thread: Broken Baggie?

Default Broken Baggie?

Last night, I hived two packages and used a gallon Baggie on top of the frames to feed them. After being gone all day today, I walked down just at dusk to admire the girls for a bit. As I was about to turn away, I noticed the back of one hive stand was stained and damp, as was the paved area under the hive. All I can think is that perhaps the Baggie collapsed and sugar water poured down on the bees and through the hive. Didn't open the hive to check because it was getting dark fast. Activity seemed okay with girls entering the hive, and my mom in law said there ad been bees all over the garden today. What's the worst that could have happened? Will they be okay until tomorrow afternoon or can the bees starve in a short amount of time?

Default Re: Broken Baggie?

What kind of temps are you having? If its warm and there are flowers blooming you should be fine for a day.

If its cold it you could have some drowned and frozen bees.

BTW, there is nothing bad about opening hives at night. Some people will disagree but I think its a better time to work them than on cloudy days. I do it a lot as I'm rarely awake during daylight hours. Something as simple as replacing a baggie is no problem. When I feed I usually replace the feeders at night so they will have a full bottle or baggie in the morning while I am sleeping. I would check sooner than later to make sure nothing really bad happened like drowning the queen in her cage.

Next time make sure your ziploc is actually locked. Baggie feeders are great, just have to make sure they are set up right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    BTW, there is nothing bad about opening hives at night. Some people will disagree but I think its a better time to work them than on cloudy days.
    My nighttime bee experiences have been VERY unpleasant. I don't think I'd recommend nighttime beekeeping to a newcomer.....or, to anyone else for that matter.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

>BTW, there is nothing bad about opening hives at night. Some people will disagree

I will disagree...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    Next time make sure your ziploc is actually locked. Baggie feeders are great, just have to make sure they are set up right.
    The bag being zipped completely is extremely important (believe me, I know).

Also, did you cut slits in the baggie? I have found that a thumbtack-style push pin is just as effective and has less chance of spillage. Just be sure and poke a lot of holes (in the top, of course).

good luck. Hope your hives are ok.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

It has been very warm and we do have lots of blooming going on. Today is overcast, with a shower or two possible. I'll check them today; I am anxious about the queen.

I did cut slits in the top side, and the smart girls found them right away. Thanks for the pin hint.

My nighttime bee experiences have been VERY unpleasant. I don't think I'd recommend nighttime beekeeping to a newcomer.....or, to anyone else for that matter.
    Maybe mine have gotten used to it. I don't know where I would be if I couldn't work bees at night. I almost never get the chance during the day.

I would use one of the bamboo skewers instead of a pin. The holes area a bit bigger and the bees still cannot get in and drown. Just make sure you don't go right through the bag though
    Cheers
    Rob