Default When to perform split after seeing swarm cells?

I have a 2nd year hive that has around 10-20 queen cups hanging from the bottom of the frames which I assume are swarm cells. The eggs in the cups have hatched I think and there is royal jelly in the bottom (well, top I guess) of the cups but the cups are NOT capped yet. The larvae are not distinctly visible in the royal jelly.

My question is this: when do I need to perform the split in the attempt to keep my queen? Now? Once they're capped? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: When to perform split after seeing swarm cells?

Quote Originally Posted by pcord View Post
    I have a 2nd year hive that has around 10-20 queen cups hanging from the bottom of the frames which I assume are swarm cells. The eggs in the cups have hatched I think and there is royal jelly in the bottom (well, top I guess) of the cups but the cups are NOT capped yet. The larvae are not distinctly visible in the royal jelly.

My question is this: when do I need to perform the split in the attempt to keep my queen? Now? Once they're capped? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
    It is best to split now. If you wait until they are capped it is too late. It might be best to put the old queen in a nuc. Otherwise, they may swarm anyways, at this point.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

[QUOTE=tsmullins;937475]It might be best to put the old queen in a nuc. Otherwise, they may swarm anyways, at this point.

When you say put the old queen in a nuc, how is that different than creating a nuc from the split I'm planning to do? My plan was to move the old queen and around 1/2 the workers into a new hive with around 4 frames of stores and 4 empty frames. All brood and queen cells were going to stay in the donor hive.

If I have the equipment ready, I split the hive the same day I find the queen cells.

Quote Originally Posted by pcord View Post
    When you say put the old queen in a nuc, how is that different than creating a nuc from the split I'm planning to do? My plan was to move the old queen and around 1/2 the workers into a new hive with around 4 frames of stores and 4 empty frames. All brood and queen cells were going to stay in the donor hive.
    Really, just the type of split. I like to make nucs. You are planning an even split. Both are fine. Like Jon, when I find a queen cell with an egg, I split then.

Shane