Thread: Pollen question

Default Pollen question

After installing package bees with foundation frame only, how long before you should be seeing bees bringing in pollen? Installed yesterday and a little curious.

Default Re: Pollen question

If pollen is available for forage, I suspect you will see them hauling it in on their hind legs over the next few days.

New packages need a few days to settle and orient themselves. I suggest watching for a couple weeks before snooping.

Have seen pollen coming in within a couple hours from turning them out. Re-orientation only takes a few minutes, and the foragers go to work promptly.
    Walt

I see them coming and going, but not seeing and pollen packs on there legs. Should I be worried?

If they were installed on foundation they need to have somewhere to store the pollen, so they may not immediately bring it in, but surely after a few days they will once they get some comb drawn, and you should be feeding sugar syrup continually. John

Thanks for the replays. Yes I am feeding sugar water to them, I was thinking the same thing, that maybe they need a couple of days to draw comb, but just got the new beekeepers jitters I guess.

the swarms i caught recently didn't bring in much pollen for a few days. it takes an egg 3.5 days to hatch, and once there are larvae in the hive, you should see more pollen coming in.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I assume you are feeding? Bees that are severely short of nectar or syrup will not bring pollen. The mechanism is based on the feeding formula that foragers get from the nurse bees. If the ratio of protein is low, they bring pollen, if the ratio of syrup is too low, they concentrate on finding nectar in the wild.
    Often you can see how well things are going in the hive, w/o opening it. I believe wcubed (WWW) noted in one of his articles that bees that are not bringing in pollen when brood rearing should be booming need feeding. I find that bees w/o brood hardly forage at all. The bees simply look unmotivated.
    Last edited by AramF; 05-15-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more rambing

the pacakage i installed 3 weeks ago tomorrow was bringing it back in a couple of days.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Thanks for the replays. Yes I am feeding, it just took a few days and then I saw the pollen pouches coming in. I was just unsure about when I should be seeing it.