Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian queen

Default Russian queen

I have a Russian Hybrid queen coming from Kelley's on Saturday. I, unfortunately lost a pure Russian hive. When it swarmed, I decided to let them create a new queen. They did, but she disappeared and I guess the remaining bees are just dying of old age. So I ordered the new queen and thought I'd put her in a nuc with some Italian brood frames and nurse bees. When I pull these frames, I guess workers will be on the frames with the nurses/brood. Will the workers drift or stay? Are there any problems associated with this method?

Default Re: Russian queen

shouldn't be just move the nuc to a new yard for a while

The nuc will have lots of pollen and honey. Are workers necessary from the start until the nurses grow up to workers? If not necessary, how can I seperate the nurses from the workers?

They are the same thing. In general, the younger bees are nurse bees and the older ones are foragers. But if the hive needs more of one than the other they can and will do whatever job is necessary for the survival of the hive.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you want a majority of younger bees (nurse bees) in your nuc, wait until about 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon and shake the bees into the nuc.
    The majority of foragers will be away at this time, and you'll get mostly nurse bees. Any foragers that were in the hive when you shook them in will go back to the original hive.
    I wouldn't even worry about moving the nuc to another place. Just make sure you have the entrance facing the opposite direction from the other hive. I helped a friend of mine do it this way, and it worked fine. The two hives were only about six feet apart.

I have a Russian hive that swarmed, created a new queen, lost the new queen and there has been no brood or queen cells for about 3 weeks. I don't think this hive can be salvaged due to the age of the existing bees. I ordered a new Russian hybrid queen, but I understand Russian queens are not very well accepted into Italian hives. So I thought I would make a nuc of Italian brood frames and nurses which may accept her more easily. I'll leave her in the cage a day or two longer to help insure acceptance. Am I on the right track?

When I have introduced Russian Queens into Italian hives I waited 24 hours after removing the original queen before installing the new queen, made sure she was the only bee in the cage (no attendants) and delayed her release into the hive by covering the candy of the queen cage with masking tape, removing the tape after 3 days.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    made sure she was the only bee in the cage (no attendants)
    Why remove the attendants?

The bees from the nuc will react negatively to the presence of the attendants. Hopefully the bees that you are building the nuc from are not older bees from the queenless hive. Put a frame of brood and eggs in and shake in two more frames of bees covering brood. Then leave the cover off of the hive for about about half an hour the older more aggressive bees will leave the hive and go home. You now have a nuc of nurse bees that will be more likely to accept the new queen.

The queenless hive is dwindling away I'm sorry to say. They've been queenless for a long time. They're building comb on new foundation now which I can always use. The nuc will be frames from a strong Italian hive with the new Russian Hybrid queen.
    My thanks for all the responses and answers.

I guess I can assume if I remove the attendants, the nurse bees will start tending the queen rather quickly?

yes
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Just out of curiosity, how did this go for you Belewsboy?

Russia doesn't have a queen!!! LOL!! Sorry Couldnt resist.

It almost went well. I made up a nuc with existing frames from the dwindling hive and added a frame of brood from the Italian hive. Since there wasn't a huge population of bees I scanned the frames to make sure there was no existing queen. I put the purchased Russian queen cage in and left it in for 3 days. By then they had almost released her. I removed the rest of the candy plug and put the cage back in. I checked 3 days later and she was walking around on some comb. They had accepted her! Checked a week later and she was dead on the screened bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    It almost went well. I made up a nuc with existing frames from the dwindling hive and added a frame of brood from the Italian hive. Since there wasn't a huge population of bees I scanned the frames to make sure there was no existing queen. I put the purchased Russian queen cage in and left it in for 3 days. By then they had almost released her. I removed the rest of the candy plug and put the cage back in. I checked 3 days later and she was walking around on some comb. They had accepted her! Checked a week later and she was dead on the screened bottom!
    Wow!Wonder what happened??? Any ideas?

Yep. They had made another queen and I must have missed her. And I looked really hard before introducing the new queen. $45.00 down the drain! But I will say this...since then I made a couple more dirty splits that requeened on their own. Since they are a mix of yellow and black bees, I assume they are Italian / Russian hybrids. They are quite industrious, good natured and over wintered well. What ever they are, I like them a lot.

Glad to hear there was a semi-happy ending to this endeavor. I'm looking to re-queen this year with a couple Russian queens and appreciate the info.

I don't think you'll have any problems. Where are you getting your queens from?

Haven't decided quite yet. The place I was hoping to get them from, (Bob Brachmann-Coldcountryqueens.com) as he is only 1/2 hour away from me, is sold out already for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by uplander12ga View Post
    Haven't decided quite yet. The place I was hoping to get them from, (Bob Brachmann-Coldcountryqueens.com) as he is only 1/2 hour away from me, is sold out already for 2014.
    Did you talk to them or just look at the website? If he is that close at some point he may have an extra or two. Can't hurt to ask.