Default Questions for Michael Bush about TBH package install

Michael, I built a 4 foot TBH using your specs. I'm new and I'll be introducing a 3 lb package in the next 2 weeks. My questions are:
    1. When do I direct release the queen? Before shaking in the bees (will they land on her and crush her) or after shaking in the bees (where does she walk out of the queen cage when there are 10,000 bees inside?)
    2. What's the right amount of top bars to remove for package install? All of my bars are 1.5" wide (I have 1/4" spacers when needed)
    3. In the space where I'm dumping the bees, I'll be feeding 1:1 in an inverted jar with holes. The wood that I'll be elevating the jar with is 3/4" tall. Is that too tall? Can they angle their necks and proboscis that far up? I can sand the wood down if not.
    4. How many (if any) drops of lemongrass essential oils would you recommend I drop onto the bottom board to encourage them to stay in their new home?

I've read your websites Do & Don'ts and I've decided NOT to spray sugar syrup on the package right before install despite every book I've read and YouTube video I've watched.

Default Re: Questions for Michael Bush about TBH package install

I'm not Michael, but I doubt you will be needing those 1/4" spacers very much. If you want to use spacers, they would normally go with 1.25" bars.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

>1. When do I direct release the queen? Before shaking in the bees (will they land on her and crush her)

No. She will just fly off as she will be looking for the bees that are not there.

> or after shaking in the bees (where does she walk out of the queen cage when there are 10,000 bees inside?)

Hopefully right onto the pile of bees. It wouldn't hurt if it was a few minutes later. If you want to confine her for a longer period (but shorter than a candy cage) put a marshmallow in the hole. Maybe even a half or a fourth of a miniature marshmallow... you don't want her stuck in a cage on the bottom if it gets cold so you want her out quickly.

> 2. What's the right amount of top bars to remove for package install? All of my bars are 1.5" wide (I have 1/4" spacers when needed)

Enough to dump in the bees. Probably four or five.

> 3. In the space where I'm dumping the bees, I'll be feeding 1:1 in an inverted jar with holes. The wood that I'll be elevating the jar with is 3/4" tall. Is that too tall? Can they angle their necks and proboscis that far up? I can sand the wood down if not.

So there is a stand on the bottom of the hive that holds the jar 3/4" off the floor? 1/4" would do, 3/4" is fine. 5" is fine. They will crawl up to it.

> 4. How many (if any) drops of lemongrass essential oils would you recommend I drop onto the bottom board to encourage them to stay in their new home?

Four. Three will do. More is too much.

If you really want to spray them with something, use water. It won't leave them all sticky and it won't drown any bees if you don't get carried away...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Rader, I miss typed. All of my bars are 1.25" wide. Thank you Michael for clearing that up for me!