Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2 wk hive check. Pics :)

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Nature Coast beek 
#1 ·
This is my first hive ever and I am feeling like a proud momma over here! 13 days after installing my bee package and I found that they had filled up nearly all of their medium, 8 frame super with beautiful comb. I also saw quite a bit of pollen and nectar, a small amount of larvae, the queen, some capped honey and even some teeny tiny eggs! I was shocked by how tiny the eggs were and so excited to have seen them. I am feeling pretty good about it.

I added the 2nd super today. I hope that was the right thing to do. I had read that it should be done when the bees had drawn out nearly all of the frames with comb and, as of today, they only had the outside of the end frames left to do.

Beekeeping is such a thrill and a fascinating learning experience! The advice from this forum is invaluable and I am grateful to have your experiences and wisdom as a resource. Can't wait for next week's check!!!

Bee Honeybee Beehive Honeycomb Membrane-winged insect

Honeycomb Bee Honeybee Insect Beehive

Bee Honeycomb Insect Honeybee Beehive

Bee Honeybee Insect Beehive Honeycomb

See less See more
#9 ·
That's great! If they'll build on the plastic, you're a lucky girl.
Keep giving them the plastic foundation and you'll have some great combs for future use. In my (limited) experience, I had one colony that took to the plastic foundation like yours are doing. The rest of them really had to be almost be forced to do it.
Sometimes they would build comb 1/4" away from the foundation and I'd have to cut it off and let them try again. The problem was that you really had to keep an eye on it, and cut out that bad comb before they built the whole frame out.
They always got it done eventually, one frame at a time, but only if they had no other choice. If I put a piece of wax foundation in, they would abandon the plastic, and only use the wax until it was done.
But once they got the plastic drawn out, it was pretty indestructible, and you could use it for years. Mice will eat through wax foundation. Plastic stops them.

#10 ·
I added the 2nd super today. I hope that was the right thing to do. I had read that it should be done when the bees had drawn out nearly all of the frames with comb and, as of today, they only had the outside of the end frames left to do.
I'm really curious about adding the 2nd medium 8 frame super ...I'll be coming up on my 2nd week as well. And mine are doing just about as well as yours ...as of the first week they were working on all but the 1st and 8th frame ... IF all the frames have comb, do you add the super even if you know that the population of the hive is going to be at it's lowest from week 2 to week 3 (of a newly installed package on fresh foundation)? ...I've been trying to figure this out.

#11 ·
You can compare the wax foundation with the plastic foundation to see which one is heavier during hive inspection. I personally like the light weight natural combs better. If you have a strong hive then no need to worry about any pest. In the winter time you have to use an entrance reducer anyways to keep them warm inside and the pests out. If one day you would like to try raising some good queens then the natural foundation is better to cut out the cells. With the plastic foundation it is harder to cut them out.
If your population is low then do not add the 2nd super yet. Because they need to keep warm at night time. By adding another super you will reduce the warm air space they need to generate. Wait until they expand more up to 85% then add the second super on. Eventually all the frames will be drawn out when they don't have enough space anymore. I usually give them a frame in the middle of the brood frames to be draw out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.