Default Update on my hives installed package on 4/21 Feel free to give advice!

On 4/21 I installed two new packages in the hives. I feed them syrup with a mason jar in a deep body for a week then switched over to the baggies for another week or so. I discontinued use of those methods and now just put a couple mason jars of syrup in homemade feeders throughout the yard which I do not plan to refill thanks to the pollen flow. I only perform inspections once every week.
    At this point both hives seem super strong and I am expecting their size to grow dramatically in the next few weeks with some luck and warm weather!!! I have 6/10 to 7 out of ten frames on each deep hive drawn out, with the inner ones 3-5 having capped brood and honey. I noticed the queens, eggs and larvae all looks great.

They keep trying to comb the frames together in the hive bodies even though there are 10 there, they have connected a couple of frames comb together. So today I added my second deep's frames to the mixture so they should start expanding upward.
    When I do my inspections I usually only withdraw three or frames per hive.

My questions are is this how veteran beekeepers perform inspections, and do you think it was the right time to add the frames in my second deep hive body?

Thanks for ANY ADVICE TIPS AND COMMENTS

Default Re: Update on my hives installed package on 4/21 Feel free to give advice!

As for inspections it depends on who you talk to. When I am starting one up I keep an eye on it until it gets built up well. I don't pull every frame out just one or two to see what the pattern is like and what's happening. You are right with adding the next box when all are filled up accept for three add another to prevent swarming. That's on 10 frame. As for feeding keep feeding until they won't take it anymore or it's time to put your honey supers on you don't feed during a flow. As far as homemade feeders, you could be encouraging robbing, I don't know what they look like or how they work? I would probably stick with the baggies but that's me.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Default Re: Update on my hives installed package on 4/21 Feel free to give advice!

JT, sounds like they are on the way! I do my inspections from the outside frame, remove it then go though your frames... carefully. You don't want to injury the queen. When the box is 70 to 80% filled with bee's I will add another hive box. When you do this move up some brood in the center and some honey frames on the outside. Depending on the population, nectar flow will decide on if I want to add a honey box. On the honey box I put in a excluder and move a honey frame up into it to bait the bees to go up.
    This is my 2 cent worth and I'm sure other's would have a diff approach.

Thanks alot for the tips guys. What do you do about the frames when you have two where the comb stretches to both of them? leave it or tear it up? I have left it thus far.

I appreciate the tips on moving the frames around and plan to do that on Sunday when the weather is nice. I will also probably revert back to some smaller baggie feeders because I feared spilling the syrup out in the hive.

I attached a picture of my homemade feeders. The formula is upside down mason jar on screened wire with 2x4's for the framework lol.
    Last edited by Justin Trout; 05-10-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Why arent my pictures uploading?

Justin I'm in morgan near magoffin. I'd say in the next week your bees will be starting in poplar and locust and start ignoring feed so much. But I'd pour it to them if they keep taking it , especially if the next deep you put on will be without pulled frames. If you can get two deeps pulled out by the middle of June you my make some honey late June into the first of July on sourwood/clover. You have a really good association in Floyd Co. you should check them out if you haven't already.

On insepctions, I 'd peep in in the packages about once a week. I would also move the frames around to get them pulled without messing with the brood area. they rather move up in ten frame equipment than finish the last couple in a deep.
    Also hope we don't have a freeze like last year and lose the poplar flow. If we make it until Tuesday you'll be alright. Its amazing what those little buggers can do if well populated and a flow on.

I would keep feeding with the jar or baggie on the hive until they get that second box mostly built out. Give them a good head start. Sugar is relatively cheap insurance. If they build a bunch of cross comb, it is better to go ahead and remove it now and make them redo it.