And multiple queen cells.

I went over to a friends house to try to help her with her hive. Seems like every time I get in a hive the details are different and I feel like I need to go back to grade school all over again. I didn't really know what to do. This hive was nekked of brood - I mean not a single ANYTHING.

From reading Bush Bee Math, this means no queen for 24 days? But it says queen cell to laying is 20 days. This hive had multiple unhatched queen cells. What am I missing?

Also, what should we have done? Just put it back and left it alone? That's basically what we did, except we added another box since much of the other frames had pollen or honey or nectar in it. I don't think it was honey bound. The bottom box seemed to have room.

I wasn't sure we could do a split (because of all the queen cells) without any brood at all. Is that correct? But here sits this hive with no brood and queen cells, so I kept feeling like we might should have split. I hope we erred on the side of caution. I was previously told to let the queen hatch and take care of the other queen cells. Any input? Thanks.