Default Will New Packages Be Aggressive?

I just installed three packages of Italians. The installation seemed to go very well, as a matter of fact it was quite memorable (in a good way). I went out later to just see what was going on. When you get ten or so feet from the back of one of the hives they come after you, and they mean to sting. I gave them some time and went back out and the same thing. They'll follow you all the way back to the house, 75 feet or so. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, I wonder if that's the problem. I would hate to have to suit up just to feed them. If there is anyone out there with more experience than me (which is almost everyone) I would like some advice. Gary

Default Re: Will New Packages Be Aggressive?

I can sometimes approach within 10' of my hives without a suit...but have to pay attention to where the bees are flying; stay out of their way. On a good day, they *might* allow me within 5' of the calmest hives before they get mad, but best pay CAREFUL attention to the way they're acting, 'cuz the time delay between warning you off & stinging is pretty short when you're that close. Personally, since I react badly to stings, I wouldn't ever chance getting close enough to fill a feeder on/in the hive without at LEAST wearing a veil+jacket.

I'm totally new--just got my first package 3 weeks ago. Either I'm really lucky, or the source of my package breeds really mellow bees, but I can walk right up to the hive (I usually approach from behind) and they don't bother me in the least. I actually set up a lawn chair about 15' form the hive, (and off to the side) and I'll sit there with my binoculars and watch them going in and out of the hive--again, they never bother me in the slightest. I should have newly hatched bees in a week or so, I hope they're as mellow as the current ones are......

What breed of bees do you have? I have three nucs of Carniolans coming in a couple weeks as well. I understand about the lawn chair thing. They really are interesting little critters! Maybe these Italians will cool of once they settle in. I'm not in a panic, I'm just interested in other peoples experience.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 05-07-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: UNQuote

My girls are as calm as can be. I can stand next to the hive touching it, or off to the side to watch, sit on the ground in front of the hive, whatever, and they just go about their business. I get flybys, and such, but completely not aggressive at all. I go out to fill their feeder, it's a telescoping lid feeder that has mesh underneath it so the bees don't come flying out of the hole, and I don't wear any protective clothing. I get buzzed, but that's because obviously I am in their way.

I have migratory top with just a hole in it for a feeder, I walk out in shorts and flip flops and replace feeders no screens and no problems. I mow with my riding mower with the deck 2 in from the hive and as long as I blow the grass away, it doesn't bother them. My package was a little cranky for a few days when I first installed but I installed in the rain and it rained for 4 days straight afterwords. after about a week they settled down too.

Mine are Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by ggileau View Post
    What breed of bees do you have? I have three nucs of Carniolans coming in a couple weeks as well. I understand about the lawn chair thing. They really are interesting little critters! Maybe these Italians will cool of once they settle in. I'm not in a panic, I'm just interested in other peoples experience.

All my colonies are mutts from Italians near a decade ago.

I understand bees become defensive when protecting brood and when stores or forage is sparse. I find all will be testy just after fussing with them.

I've also had hives go hot and heard others with similar experience. I think genetics plays a big part. Even though mine are all descendants of same stock, mating must influence them otherwise all mine would be hot.

I purposely saved one hive last for our inspector and had a spare jacket waiting for him. He shrugged off the jacket and got hammered with more than 50 stings upon lifting the lid. As they pounded my veil, I swore I saw Lucky Strikes hanging from their mouths. The inspector sampled them for African hybrid. I kidnapped the queen with entourage into a nuc and let them raise another. Before long they became my most gentle hive. The queen joined another group of shrews I passed along and raised a very productive hive in north central PA inside an electric fence to protect the bears. That's another story.

Last year one afternoon I was fussing with my hives. I returned about an hour or so later to find my neighbors cub cadet tractor running with blades engaged about ten yards away. I found him out front humorously chagrining a few stings.

I try to only disturb the girls in late afternoon close to evening. They always hunker down at sunset and cool off by morning.

Good luck and experience your own stories.

One of my colonies was so calm that I could get down right beside the entrance and they did not even send out a guard beer after me. Then I tore the hive apart trying to do a split and ever since I can't get 10yds to them without getting attacked by a quart bee.

I installed a package of Italians from Georgia last year that were always hot. Funny thing is now they are laidback. I was planning on re queening them this year, but they calmed down. I figured they might have superceded, But I found they queen and the yellow dot is still there. There are a lot of things that can make them hot lack of food, sick, queenless, etc.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Thank you all for the input! I have a ton to learn. But as they say, getting there is half the fun.

Do you have any cows?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Do you have any cows?

No I do not. Why do you ask?

Cows love bees. They rub the box and the bees come out the cows flick them away.

Seriously cows will destroy your hives from both a curiousity standpoint and from a scratching postnstandpoint