Hybrid View

Default Single Brood Chamber vs Double Brood Chamber

Hi all,

New to the site and to beekeeping. I installed my nucs (3) on April 27 into their boxes and have thoroughly enjoyed the bees so far. I have 3 hives and have to fight myself from going in them everyday as this is new and exciting to me. Every colony has already started drawing comb out on the 2nd and 9th frames, but only on the sides towards the middle of the boxes. From everything I've heard and read i am approaching the time to add another box on top of the existing brood chamber. My dilemma is whether to run double brood chambers or single brood chambers. I am wondering what the pros/cons are of each setup - my current thinking is to have double broods on two hives and a single brood chamber on the other. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

RMF

Default Re: Single Brood Chamber vs Double Brood Chamber

I like two deeps (10 frame), for the brood chamber. Gives the queen lots of room for laying eggs, lots of room for storage of Winter stores. Also helps to keep the queen from going up into your honey supers without using a queen excluder.

But, the final decision is, it is up to the individual beekeeper, his/her choice.

cchoganjr

Thanks cleo, i think ill just go with double broods on them all. My initial concern was that i would have a smaller honey yield by having two brood chambers but i guess thats not the case.

RMF

You CAN have a larger honey yield with a one deep brood chamber, because you can harvest more of the honey. We run one deep brood chambers, and move the capped brood frames up to keep plenty of open cells in front of the queen.

Crazy Roland

Try them both:double deeps on one and a single on the other. I've got combinations of everything right now. All mediums, deep/shallows deep/double medium. The goal is to move to double deeps in at least half for easier split management in the spring.

Cleo Hogan is right, I run two deeps also. They have plenty of laying room and build up quick in the spring. More frames to pull from for splits or to help a weak hive. A lot of commercial guys run singles, it is better for their needs.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.