Default Seems to be a traffic jam at hive entrance, should I open it up more?

Installed my 3lb package of Italians a little over a month ago. They have been doing great, and the hive is booming! Added a second deep at a little over 2 weeks in, and my inspection yesterday shows they have drawn out 7 of the 9 frames of the second deep--I may actually add a honey super in a week or so.

When I set up the hive, instead of the normal wooden entrance reducer, I choose to use one of the metal mouse guards as we have a LOT of mice out where we live. I used electrical tape to reduce the hive opening down to about 2". When I was driving by today, I noticed that they seemed to be getting pretty jammed up at the entrance, so I'm thinking maybe I need to open it up some. Video below, what do you all think? If I do open it up some, how large an opening would you suggest?

Thanks!

BD
    Last edited by BigDawg; 05-21-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Default Re: Seems to be a traffic jam at hive entrance, should I open it up more?

I opened up my big hive a couple days ago, so did my brother.

They need more ventilation by now, too.

You should have plenty of bees to guard the entrance.

Pete

Default Re: Seems to be a traffic jam at hive entrance, should I open it up more?

Also, mice are not a problem in the summer. Bees will keep them out. Mice prevention is needed in the fall.

It's not bad but that many bees you could have a full opened entrance.

I have: Open the reducer to 4 inches at 6 weeks and remove it all together at 8 weeks ... I assume that is under normal circumstances.

Boy, if you knew the problems we have with mice here! Seriously, if you park your car at night and you don't flip the recirculated air lever on your ac/blower controls in your car, you WILL have a mouse nest in the blower motor housing the next morning......and this is year-round!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Also, mice are not a problem in the summer. Bees will keep them out. Mice prevention is needed in the fall.

Remove that tape if you are going to keep the metal reducer on. I would lose it altogether. Remember, that's a two-way door. Not only are you hindering the bees getting in...you are also keeping them from getting out. With a bottleneck like that, your honey production will be greatly reduced. I would be full open with the population that you described. I would also add an upper entrance at the top of the hive. Your bees coming into the hive with nectar can enter the hive at the honey supers instead of having to travel through two brood boxes first.

I am with Mayday....lose the tape. You truly may get to the point you need to loose the mouse guard, too. The bees won't let a mouse into that hive once they are strong. I also suggest getting a couple of cats!

What about robbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    I am with Mayday....lose the tape. You truly may get to the point you need to loose the mouse guard, too. The bees won't let a mouse into that hive once they are strong. I also suggest getting a couple of cats!

Robbing usually takes place during a dearth. With a population as described, there should be plenty of guard bees on duty.