Hybrid View

Default Feeding board top entrance combo-- will this work?

Here in Florida, I'm using long hives, and I really like them. But in a couple weeks, I'll be installing nucs into conventional Langstroth equipment in upstate NY, because I won't be able to attend to them as frequently as I'd like. With the long hives, I'm using top entrances and they are working very well. I wanted to do the same with the Lang boxes, but without modifying anything so I could go to bottom entrances if the top entrances don't work out for whatever reason.

So I cut 3/4" ply into covering boards, and used a hole saw to cut out an opening for a mason jar feeder, in case I need to feed:

feedertop.jpg

But in the spirit of less is more, I routed entrance slots on the other side, similar to the ones that are working well on my long hives.

topenter1.jpg

These slots are 3/8" high and about 9" long. Leaving aside the merits and demerits of top entrances, does anyone foresee any problems with these entrances, used under a migratory cover? I'll put a super above them if I have to feed.

Default Re: Feeding board top entrance combo-- will this work?

Only issue I see is what will you do to reduce the entrance ? Even with nucs instead of packages wont you want to reduce the entrance for a couple weeks or so?

Won't cutting the entrance weaken the plywood. You will only have 3/8 inch left which will get glued down.

Have you tried it yet? I would be interested in your results.

cchoganjr

I did the kinda the same thing only I added 3/8"X 3/4" cleat, glued & stapled, to three sides leaving the front open. Made my reducer by simply cutting different lengths cleats.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Won't cutting the entrance weaken the plywood. You will only have 3/8 inch left which will get glued down.

Have you tried it yet? I would be interested in your results.

cchoganjr
    I have tried it on my long hives, and it works fine. The 3/8" remaining does not get glued down, because there's a cover over the top board, and bees can't fit under.

Here's a photo of the top entrance on a long hive:

topentrance.jpg

I took that with the roofing panel off. here's one with the panel on:

orienting.jpg

I just use a scrap of 3/8" ply to narrow the entrance. Or a bit of #8 screen, folded.