Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

repower a bobcat

26K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  rodo 
#1 ·
I've got a 610 with a motor going bad. Anybody ever replace a wiconsin 4cyl. Did you buy a new motor, a rebuilt one, or replace with a different motor or am I better off getting a different loader. I know I can get rebuilt for 3500$ plus. They say I can replace with a new 35hp vanguard motor. Any thoughts would be appreciated. PM me. Needless to say I'm looking for a different loader, a 610, maybe a 743. Or if someone has a good motor. Let me know. Thanks Rod in Kansas

#3 ·
I converted an old belt drive bobcat a bunch of years ago. I had to get a crankshaft adaptor made and make a different exaust system. if the crankshaft will match no big problems. I would stick with air cooled and not worry about a little less hp. I think the vanguard would be a good choice. I would stay away from Honda and onan. the Honda is light on performance for this application.

#6 ·
#11 ·
Thank You Mr. dback, I appreciate your reply. I may pm you
I wouldn't rebuild the engine myself, I'm real good at tearing things apart, but putting them back together is a different story. Bobcat dealer said 10-12 hours according to book, I find that the book can be wrong.

#13 ·
Rodo......MHO....You didn't mention what configuration your Bobcat is. "IF" it has a mast and the '5th' wheel assembly and is otherwise in reasonably good condition, I would continue with a repower. Myself.....I would only use the original equipment Wisconsin VH4D. "IF" on the other hand your Bobcat is used in the 'skidsteer' configuration with forks attached to the arms......I would look at other options. The 'skidsteer' with forks is a horrible piece of equipment for moving bees....it tears up yards, has minimal lifting capacity, bounces bees all over the place, slower then the second coming and is very dangerous around ditches or slopes. I used one for several years when I was 'young and dumb'. Personally......if I'm going to drop a new engine in that machine, there are lots of other things I'm going to do while I'm that deep into the machine......rebuild jackshaft sheave, rebuild variable speed sheave, replace all belts, install new starter, replace clutch linings, etc. etc.......toss that money on top of the new engine price and you have surpassed the value of the machine. If your machine is in the "Mast/5th wheel" configuration you can justify that expenditure but if not I would put that money towards a machine that will do the job intended....a bobcat set up correctly or a decent used swinger. Should you decide to proceed with the repower......I'll point you to another site that deals specifically with this subject. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: If you are any good at e-bay sales.....you would be shocked at how much your machine would return ($$$) parted out.

#14 ·
Do have original tailwheel and forks, no mast yet. Only have an 8 ft. door into warehouse, not sure how tall a mast is?
Been loading and unloading semis for 30 plus years, granted only a few times a year. Use it for shoveling and snow removal too.
Also have home made barrel attachment that is used constantly for honey, wax, saw dust and feed moving. I have used a mast many times and it is nice, but I get along with the forks just fine.
Can't justifie a swinger for 1000 hives. So honestly looking to replace motor right now.Variable speed does need reworked. Thanks for the info and opinions. Much appreciated

#16 ·
I would not worry about 5400 hours on a Kubota. I have a customer with 27,500 hours on one, on an over the road refer unit, never been apart, uses no oil, and starts right up bellow 0 F. if the bobcat is in good shape and well maintained I would take look at it.... I have not touched old #20 for awhile it is likely over 28.000 hours by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.