Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up How's your spring????

Spring has been slow in coming this year. We had 17 inches of wet snow Sunday and Monday. More is forecast in a couple days without much warming. The moisture is great and when the weather breaks, we may have the mother of all fruit blooms!! I called yesterday and delayed my queen shipment a week and hope I don't have to postpone again. My bees will be in oranges for a couple more weeks before they get shipped home. I don't see that I will be able to get a semi in my pasture given all the snow that has to melt before the soil thaws and dries out so I'll be shuttling them out there for my annual splitting in a smaller vehicle. Extra work but the conditions are looking good for a strong start for the 2013 season.

How's it looking in your summer spots? You cold and wet too Ian?

Default Re: How's your spring????

Yeah, Chip. Spring, what spring? My load was supposed to leave CA on Sunday, obviously that got delayed. Will be at least a couple of weeks. Hopefully the moisture will pay off.
    Gregg Stewart

Rain.Rain.little Sun...more rain coming. Snow forecasted for Fri with 22F for the low. First load left CA this morning. Second load is leaving tomorrow. This WI weather should set the swarm urge back a little.lol I'm thinking when the weather finally breaks there should be several nectar/pollen sources that should start about the same time. The maples are just starting to bud here.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Can't really complain so far. Weather has not been extreme, and now that there is a flow the bees have had good opportunities to go out and get it. Also, hives that were not as strong as I would have liked last fall have actually built up quite nicely - with a little help in the form of pollen sub. Swarm season is on though.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

You are all welcome to send the rain to California, everytime i get off the main road a dust cloud follows me.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Bees still sit in storage! Running very late this spring. Going to start moving them out tomorrow night, lets hope warm weather prevails
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    You are all welcome to send the rain to California, everytime i get off the main road a dust cloud follows me.

I agree with Larry, Spring? We are still wondering where winter went.... thats if it ever came. The nectar flow is going to bomb hard shortly but I do have to declare that the weather for Almond bloom and every day since has been nothing bit a bonanza for queen and bee build up.

Spring??

March 10 was the first cleansing flight since December.
    Monday was the first pollen day, and first day of 60 degrees since November 13...normal average is March 29.

Your Maples blooming there Michael?

I noticed ours blooming this morning.

what spring?
    Last edited by Grizbee; 04-17-2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Dbl Post

Here in NW lower Michigan the first cleansing flight I can remember was this past monday April 15, and yesterday also. Now just waiting for the maple to pop,excellent ground moisture this season, and also good sugaring for the syrup guys... Nows its the bees turn on the maple

My niece said its been a nice winter this spring

The bees in MS look great. The bees in N.IL and S. WI looks like a 80 percent loss. Shipping them back north on May 10th if the weather here breaks. Lots of dead outs to fill up and most losses in the past month.

What spring is right!

Last cleansing fight here was exactly 6 months ago, Oct 16. Still had nothing above 3-4 C this spring.

have you moved any out yet Allen?

Im PLANNING on starting to move some out tonight, but as I type this I look outside to snow falling again!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Doesn't appear that we will have a spring this year. Snowed everyday for the past week. Lows around 14deg., highs in the low 30's. Packages sitting around all over the house waiting for Friday. Supposed to be 50. First week of May supposed to be in the 70's. so no spring.

We had cool and wet until 20 days ago the weather broke and we had anice run of weather for about 17 days. That has been followed by about 10 days of cooler and wetter. Maples started to bloom 2 weeks ago on friday. Today looks good for the bees. Dandelions are out. We are supposed to get more rain this weekend followed by what is supposed to be warmer weather and blue skies. All I know is flying weather allows bees to collect pollen and turn it into more bees. So far about half the nucs are on the ground. Next weeks promisedweather will allow us toget the rest of them done.

Ian

I still to far too much snow. Thinking early next week.

Red maple just starting to bloom in the valleys around here. Sugar maples should be next. Nectar in the hives already and pollen going in the front door. I reversed every hive except one in the last two days. Tad early but my schedule dictated it. Looking good.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    Ian

I still to far too much snow. Thinking early next week.
    I hear ya,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hi All
    Well from the UK the same answer, what spring, the bees are usually now on the dandelions and buildup is underway, instead we are still feeding fondant, patties etc, we get a couple of warmer days then rain and cold again, and this follows a terrible season last year, I think losses are going to be high over here.
    Kev

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast