Default Hungry hatchling

Things are getting underway in the queen rearing dept., finally.

Here's a virgin hot out of the incubator eating honey off my finger. Actually it is a bit of nectar that came off her cell cup. She was running around on my hand and when she came to that drop, man-did she put on the brakes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50Yf...ature=youtu.be

Below is the queen this batch was grafted from. Surprisingly, most of the daughters were blond. I prefer the dark ones myself...LOL Just a little surprised to get blond after blond from this graft batch.

Getting all the mating nucs stocked with bees and getting organized is sure a lot of work. I wish I had more experience and had my systems down to a science.

I never do anything to deplete my own apiary-The reason I am raising queens is top Strengthen my yard, not deplete it.
    So I'll stock mating nucs only as fast as the growth of my doner hives dictate.

Until then I'll just go with the flow Just thought some might like to see a new queen eating her first meal.
    Last edited by Lauri; 05-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Hungry hatchling

Really cool,

Thanks for sharing.

Shane

I like those dark queens... they seem to do well for me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Nice!

This isn't going to turn into a Ginger or Mary Ann thread is it?

The queen color we cannot control much unless your area is saturated with
    the same color drones. Then the daughter queens have better chance to get
    the color we want. I did a graft this month and 1 out of 13 is a Carni. The rest
    are the Italian big queens. I can only say that the mother queen was putting out Italian
    eggs during the time I did the graft. All the eggs from my graft came from different
    Italian queens though. So my mix and match will give me different results for
    diversification purpose, not all eggs in the same basket since I am looking to raise more Italian queens
    that my area is full of Carni drones anyway.

Nice virgin. When the abdomen is that much longer than the wings as a virgin you can be sure they will be really nice once they are mated.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Color isn't surprising looking at her offspring but I bet they're good queens either way.