Default Hello from Wisconsin

So im new to the forum and only have had a hive for 1 season. Quite honestly I only have bees to help with my garden...well that's how it started at first now I find its kinda fun and helps round me off as a person. I have been in the military now for 12 years am big into outdoors ie. hunting, camping, shooting and that's why I feel beekeeping as well as stain glass helps round me out as a person. I also do have a medium size garden about 100' x 50', and whats funny is im located in a small town. That's my little bio I hope to learn a lot as I come online here.

Default Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Hi Bullin82! I'm in Wisconsin also; this is my 2nd year beekeeping, and my 1st year with my own hives (last year a friend kindly introduced me to beekeeping when he asked if he could unload a hive at my farm but showed up with 3 in his truck!). I drove through your general area Saturday, on my way to and from a blacksmithing class in Eagle, with my dad - your flowers and trees are well ahead of ours 2 hours to the north!

Did your hive make it through the winter? If so, what did you do to accomplish it? I had 1 die from I don't know what (perhaps moisture, there was a little snow drift inside when I checked on a warm day in February) and the other seemed okay but died and I think in retrospect that I should have fed them syrup as soon as I saw they were still alive. I'm interested to know what you did to your hive to keep it alive in our climate.

Welcome, lots to learn and spring is finally here.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

I thought I was doing ok because I only harvested 1 of the supers last year once last year and left them 2 for the winter as feed, but winter was long and spring was cold and wet. By the time I could get into the hive to feed them they were stressed and weak, no I see that most the hive has left except for literally about 10 bees and the queen. Im sure if I could have fed them earlier I would have this problem but here I am.

The learning curve can be hard, but you now have drawn comb which will be invaluable to the next bees you get.

Welcome to Beesource from another cheesehead. Do yourself a favor and learn all you can. This site is a wealth of information. No such thing as a bad question either.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm
    Wausau, WI.

Welcome to the group.

ON Wisconsin!!! You will probably find the beekeeping is more fun than the garden, at least I did. Out went the garden and up went more hives for me this year! No weeding is fine for me. juzzer