Default Bees are blackened, look burned ?

I've noticed a few of my hives, maybe 5%, have bees that are blackened. They almost look burned. Also, greasy looking. Definitely sick bees. In these hives, a frame of bees will have one or two of these on each side.

Not sure what this is.

I started using hopguard last year and also noticed the first few bees like that. Not sure if there is a connection.

Any ideas ?

"Met-How" Kraig

Default Re: Bees are blackened, look burned ?

How are you determining they're sick other than color? Slower moving? In my hive of mutts (recovered from an open comb hive in a tree) I have bees that range from very dark to golden yellow/orange, and they're all sisters, just expressing different genes based on which of the dozen or more drones the queen mated with provided the sperm that fertilized that specific egg. In my case, they're all active and healthy, just very different in coloration.

Hope that helps!

Usually it is a wet bee. Either water honey or oil. If you have feeders in place or oil traps. Those would be the likely culprits

HopGuard will do it.

In pretty much any hive you will see a few "runts" (for lack of a better term). They are quite often a solid black. I wouldn't be concerned if the great majority of the bees seem healthy.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I would bet it Chronic Bee Paralysis, or also known as hairless black syndrome. If it bothers you...re-queen, but it usually goes away in a month or two.

I'm thinking CBP. Not a runt or part of the normal mix of coloration in a hive. I've been keeping bees for decades.

Not a lot of bees on a frame, so I'll probably just leave them as is. Just never noticed it before.

But could also be Hopguard. From the previous week I'm thinking. I've noticed some bees get soaked in the goo when I drop the strips in. Seems plausible that other bees would not clean them off, in which case, the goo might dry to a burned, greasy look, which I notice a week later.

Kraig

Could be robber bees that have been out robbing other hives. Or just some that have been in a community feeder. They look slick, dark, and somewhat greasy as they have lost the fuzz or have it coated with honey or syrup.

In California, buckeyed bees look like that. Maybe you have some plant that causes similar poisoning?

Any bees that got coated when I put in Hopguard were dead in 15 minutes, but maybe if they just got a little bit on them they'll be ok. It's probably what's causing the greasy look if that's what it is and I would watch the bees try to clean themselves but I don't think it comes off that easily.