Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Identifying which hive is hot - an idea

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Thanks Steve - Yep, I would have liked to keep it for the honey production, but not worth it. When my wife can't venture outside something needed to change...

I agree with all of that, but it might be temporary because they are defending their honey - mine are like that now too. I would have probably moved it out for a few weeks to see how it goes and make sure that one was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Bevy - too late, I already squished the queen and expect the replacement today. I looked at a number of threads and spoke to a local expert and there was some consensus that a couple of days of queenlessness would help the hive accept a new queen. I plan on introducing her in a cage and will leave her for a couple days before pulling the cork.

Sqkcrk and SRBrooks - What I've experienced is far different than just a few bees checking out an interloper. My family gets attacked (and stung) around our home nowhere near the hives - yesterday one was attacking me while I was in from of my garage on the opposite side of the house at least 150 feet away. Their behavior near the hives isn't just inquisitive, it's aggressive, and to the degree that I'm worried that our neighbors may have an issue too. I'm not a long time keeper, but in the prior two years I saw no behavior that was close to this. I could walk up to the hives with no protection and we never would notice the bees while in our yard.

Sqkcrk, as I'd noted "...I smoked the heck out of the hive..." so yes, I do indeed have a smoker.
    I guess I don't know what you should do other than reduce your numbers and search for more gentle bees. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but they are stinging insects. Stinging being their only means of protection. Best of luck in dampening down this aggressive behavior.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    My test is by opening up the lid, waiting a few seconds, then waving my hand above the hive. From a mean hive, my hand will draw at least a half dozen bees instantly. A nice hive won't attack at all unless weather is bad or they have some other reason to be grumpy.
    Is that with or without smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrobisr View Post
    Is that with or without smoke?
    I generally keep a lit smoker around when I am working bees. However, I do not use it unless the hive shows obvious signs of aggression. I do not breed from a hive in which I must use smoke.

This year, I had a mother hive picked out, and on the day I needed to collect the brood to graft, I opened the hive and they came at me, so I moved to the next candidate. That one didn't, so that one got to be the mother. Mean bees are a pain and a liability.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

When I open a hive, what I like to see and hear is a bit of a perk up, then an immediate calm down. You should be able to see and hear this. If there is an immediate and sustained loud buzz and a bunch of running around, know where the smoker is located. It comes with experience.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    When I open a hive, what I like to see and hear is a bit of a perk up, then an immediate calm down. You should be able to see and hear this. If there is an immediate and sustained loud buzz and a bunch of running around, know where the smoker is located. It comes with experience.
    Thanks for the quick reply. By your standard then you would dump all of my bees, lol. With smoke they are very nice without you better have good gloves on as there will be at least thirty stingers hanging. I don't mind though as I don't treat for mites and they are very very productive honey producers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12