Default Need a new suit. Bee's keep finding holes in my old one.

Im looking for a bee suit that has zippers for the hood, glove's, and boots

Im mostly worried about hood and boots as that is were the bee's keep finding a way in. Once the bee is in your hood you cant just take it off as there are hundreds more outside. So i usually try to remain calm and walk away until i can take my hood off.

The boots are also important because that is there favorite spot to come in. Once they are in they crawl up my suit and cause trouble.

Duck tape helps but is not always fool proof.

So now i am shopping for a new suit.

I heard bee breeze suits were good. (sadly no zipper for boots) (Maybe i could add some brass ones myself) Isn't there an off brand to that suit as well?

What suits do you suggest?

Default Re: Need a new suit. Bee's keep finding holes in my old one.

I have a ventilated suit from Pigeon Mountain that I love and have never been stung (although that's gonna happen eventually). I just got one for my Dad from Krantz ( http://www.htkbeesupply.com/ ) that is similar. They don't have zippers around the legs, but they do have velcro straps which has always worked for me.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I, too, bought the ventilated from Pigeon Mountain, which I love. It has yet to let me down, even doing hot cut outs. However, I ordered one for my mother in New England who is a brand new beek, and it took 3 times to get her suit and order correct. They made her pay for the additional suits, then refunds became another issue. Needless to say, customer service was more than suspect. Ultrabreeze suits do have zippers at the ankles, I believe.

Don't bother with Dadant if you need it in time - for this year. I ordered what looked like their best suit back in early April. I have to ask for all the updates, and they still don't know when they're going to get it in. Maybe in 2 to 3 weeks. I'll have completed 3 cutouts since the time I specifically ordered that suit by then. I ordered some random things from them I didn't need since I figured I was already paying for shipping. They hand wrote backorder, but never gave me an update unless I emailed them. If I had known it was going to be backordered 2 months during peak bee season, I would have gone elsewhere. I've made do until now, but I'll be sticking with Mann Lake for the future. They're farther away, but after maybe 20 orders with them, I've never had an issue. This is my first, and probably last, with Dadant.

Rob.

I just ordered my second Ultrabreeze. My first one is one of the original prototypes. It's still bee proof but its getting ragged and the elastic is shot. It's also filthy. I ordered the Ultrabreeze about 2:00pm and it shipped the same day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-Profess...#ht_1296wt_932

I have this one, love it, and I have not been stung yet *knocks on wood* The hood is even removeable

I have a crappy suit that has no elastic around the legs letting the bee's crawl right up.

Does everyone else's suit seal at the bottom? That is why i was looking for the zipper for boots but it looks like know one sells that.

I don't want to stick with the old 3 pairs of socks and lots of duck tape method. My bee's have long stingers.

So basically how does everybody keep them out.

I know im going to get stung every know and then but i react stronger than most people. I swell and stay swollen for about a week or more.

At least i assume no one else reacts like that.

What kind of boots or shoes do you use.

You don't need a bee suit, you need new bees. i work bees almost every day and have not put on a suit for years. Re-queen with a few gentle strains and take back your life.

my suits have velcro secured bands around the legs to keep them cinched tightly.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    You don't need a bee suit, you need new bees... (Snip) Re-queen with a few gentle strains and take back your life.
    This was what I was thinking.

Nice thought but you can't count on them staying requeened.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    You don't need a bee suit, you need new bees. i work bees almost every day and have not put on a suit for years. Re-queen with a few gentle strains and take back your life.
    Ditto
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have a Jacket only style with a wonderful zip off hat/veil and closeure for the jacket. The elastic around the long bottom of the coat is super tight as is the elastic around the wrists. I love it! I don't ever do anything about the bottom of my pants. Never has one try going up my leg, yet. Figured I'd just use duct tape there if need be. But from what I can tell, these bees are super gentle.

I was just out there replacing the 1 gallon feed jar of syrup with no suit or gloves at all. I had to remove a few bees from the bottom of the jar/lid. I just wiped them off with a gentle blow of air and for the more stuborn ones I used a small stick to encourage them to move off. One buzzed me around my face, but then went back to the feeding and left me alone.