Default Can a queen transfer European Foulbrood?

Can European Foulbrood be transferred thru a queen to another hive? I've read it lives in the gut and is then transfered thru the brood food.

I currently have a fairly strong hive that is making a fast and strong recovery from EFB. I noticed that this hive has strong hygenic traits and all-in-all has a good queen. I am treating this hive and have been for over a week now with terramicine.

After the hive has recovered I would like to rear queens with those traits to transfer to my other hives but am afraid of spreading EFB.

I only have six hives and this is the only hive with such strong hygenic traits.

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Can a queen transfer European Foulbrood?

I doubt that transfering the queen only would carry enough bacteria to start EFB in a colony. The problem I see is using a queen that heads a colony that has developed the disease, versus one that has not developed EFB, when they are both in the same yard that has EFB present.

Thank you, but Im not 100% sure I understand your answer. Are you saying that transferring a laying queen from a colony with EFB may be a bad idea but a queen grafted from a larva and finished in another colony may be ok? Or would you suggest just abandoning the idea of using grafted larva or any other means of raising queens from this hive all together?

I don't think that a queen from a colony which required medication to recover from a disease is what you want to establish hygemic behavior in other colonies.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

sqkcrk, that's a good point. I was just looking at the fact that they quickly removed a lot of the brood that was dying. With that thot, I will probably just order a hygienic queen and use her to make new queens from. Does any one have any suggestions on what kind? VSH? MN Hygienic? Other? I live in NW Florida if that makes any difference.

From what I have read in research articles is that a new queen supplied in a cage cannot transfer AFB to a hive so I guess that would include EFB as they are both very infectious.

In our State it is illegal to treat AFB, in hives, with antibiotics but rumours circulate that the larger beekeepers do and for that reason I had often wondered if bought queens could infect my hives with AFB.

When I get e.f.b. I kill the queen. I cycle my comb every 5 years so if she can't handle e.f.b. with that new of comb I don't want her.

If you find a case of AFB I hope you do more than kill the queen.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries