Default This was awesome!

I go get some bees out of a water meter yesterday. They had only been there a couple weeks maybe. It was a small swarm that was in there. So I got them and moved them to my office. Go check them about an hour ago, all is well so I put some feed on them. I come back out about 30 minutes later to watch them for a while. All is going smooth then all the sudden I am surrounded by 1000ís of bees. I was like what is going on, there arenít mine. So I figured it was a swarm coming through and I would watch where they go. Well a minute or two later they take over the water bee box. It was awesome to watch.

I guess they will go in there and kill the other bees and queen? They are only 1-2 frames strong and these might fill up that medium, it was a ton of bees, biggest swarm Iíve ever caught.

I had the excluder on to keep the water meter bees from leaving, but took it off once this swarm landed.

Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: This was awesome!

That IS pretty awsome! Too bad you couldn't salvage the smaller swarm, but I guess that's how it goes. It's a bee eat bee world!

Wow! How awesome is THAT!?!?! Swarms are absolutely fascinating to be a part of!!! An experience you will never forget!

Good thing they didn't take over the other hive in the pic. That's a split with a bought queen!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

How far away was the water meter from your office location? Could these be bees left behind? Either way that is awesome!

Meter bees were just a tad over 2 miles away. Those bees couldn't have fit in this meter. There is a large feral hive about 2-300 yards away. Guessing it's from them.

Looked under the SBB prior to the swarm moving in and when I added feed. The meter bees looked to be spread out on the frames doing their job, two frames max. I rubberbanded in a 1/4 frame of eggs (towards the back) that I got from the meter and they were all over those, looked normal. Looked under the SBB at 5 pm. after the swarm moved in. All the bees tending to the eggs are gone and or towards the rear of the hive. There is nothing but a big ball of bees towards the front of the hive, but all inside. Coming and going still like all is good, buy they ain't settled in yet.

Did the meter bees say screw this we're out? They got killed quickly? There are no dead bees on the ground, and no fighting that I saw at 5ish.
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-06-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: yup

Don't mean to be a downer, just posing the question....isn't this sort of classic "take over" behavior for AHB? Do you have AHB in your area?

Usurpation is not completely a AHB trait. But, if I was living in TX. I would requeen just to be on the safe side. AHB is one of the first thoughts that popped into my mind too. Once they get settled in and the queen starts laying would be a good time to requeen. The longer you wait and the bigger the hive gets it will increasingly become harder to requeen.

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    Don't mean to be a downer, just posing the question....isn't this sort of classic "take over" behavior for AHB? Do you have AHB in your area?
    I was thinking the same thing but getting them out of a water meter is supposidly an AHB trait too. I've pulled 2 out of water meters up here a couple years ago. There's no AHB up here and they've been fine hives.

Hambone, Very cool to see pictures of that. Was there a confirmed laying queen in the small swarm? I'd love to know actual story of what caused what in this scenario.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

There was a confirmed laying queen in the small swarm.

On a sad note. I just went and checked this morning and all the bees were gone.

oh bummer! Darn!

That's a shame. But, at least they left you some photos to remember them by.

I've only managed to find myself in the middle of a swarm once; but it can happen again all it wants - I don't think I'd ever get tired of that experience.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I put the excluder back up hoping that it would keep them in, I figured maybe a swarming queen could fit through it, but the laying queen couldn’t. I looked under the SBB and don’t see any dead bees, but I am going to go through it in a bit and see if that laying queen from the meter bees is in there dead.

I am hoping maybe the large swarm left without the queen yesterday and will come back today.

I'm guessing for whatever reason, the swarm just landed there thinking it would be a good home and upon finding it occupied decided they would move on. It's odd if the swarm actually went into the hive that the queens didn't start fighting, but perhaps upon entering the hive the queen with the swarm could tell there was already a queen in this hive and they all decided to move on.

I'm guessing you are going to find the meter box queen is just fine.

All the bees are gone. Even the meter box bees.